Tomiboi Raceboard Project: New deck | SRB Race-spine #001 | SkyArt Powered | Zoom zoom!

Yeah, so I’ve been working on this race-board project for a while. I had this idea to make a bracket board with 3-links. The reason for the bracket design was to allow me to include a rear foot-ramp on the deck just like the SRB V5 race-board. The foot-ramp really seems like a good design feature for racers. IDEA makes some quality brackets for 3-links, so I picked up a set and made a prototype.

The prototype had a good feel to it… so I started to obsess. While the prototype felt good, I was worried about the long-term performance of the brackets. There was a lot of leverage going on at the connection points and sooner or later things were going to loosen up and get wobbly. Regardless, it looked pretty cool so I took the prototype to Esk8-Con to put on display in my tent as a conversation piece.

Moe Biggs @MoeStooge just so happed to stop by and he mentioned that he was working on a race-spine idea that would basically be like the V5 race-board chassis, but you could mount a deck on top. The stars were beginning to align my friends.

After getting caught up post-convention I was able to circle back and get in contact with Mr. Biggs. He had me send the deck out to him so he could get everything sized up, and here we are. Presenting SRB race-spine #001 with my prototype deck.

There is incredible alchemy between the deck and spine. I can tell just from standing on it in my living room. Also, for track racing, the quick release, metal belly-pan is a great design.

Now it’s time to get serious about wrapping up the deck design and making this death-sled boogie. Here’s what I’m working on with the deck design. First, I’m making it less pointy. As much as I like the spikes, I worry about racers getting gored by one of them in a track pile-up. Next the prototype was designed with brackets in mind, so I made it extra thick to make things strong and stiff. The race-spine design changes things. I can make a deck that is much thinner and lighter. Lastly, I’d like to put more of a nose on the deck so that riders can push their toes out closer to the axle. Here’s a CAD pic of one possible design.

The nose is ramped so that it clears the rods and axle-pivot. It also has a little concavity to it. According to my measurements there should be no wheel-bite with this design. So, anyhow, I still have some work to do on the deck. Recommendations are welcome.

When, it comes to making this thing go, I’d like to feature an entire kit from @Skyart Power. I’ve been chatting with Artem about this. He’s got some psychotic ideas, and I like encouraging him :smiling_imp: :metal:

27 Likes

That designs looks very nice! With the steel spine, is the deck thinner than a typical deck? Also, what size battery does he enclosure fit?

3 Likes

Absolutely epic. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

5 Likes

Il take 3…thank you

3 Likes

Meeee… meeee. Pickkkk meee. Jk, always great stuff coming from you so I doubt this will be any exception!

4 Likes

So you could (in theory) take one of these spines and (hypothetically) make only a front and rear footpad, so that you would be able to (on paper) twist it like a ripstick to adjust the steering balance while cornering (asking for a friend)

4 Likes

I feel quite lucky to have gotten to ride the spineboard that Moe has come up with, and I must say, the wooden deck felt quite nice. Pretty stoked about this project, and I think I may be doing a DIY build on this platform next year.

3 Likes

Tell your friend :wink: he/she could hypothetically do that… but you’d have to cut it in half first and make it twist and such.

3 Likes

I’ll probably go with 6-7 ply backed up with a bunch of fiberglass. I need to get some cells out and see what will fit in the belly pan. I’ll take some pics when I do.

5 Likes

Dude.
I hope you are really having a ton of fun making all these amazing builds!!!

So epic…

3 Likes

Looks sick dude. Curious about the battery capacity and layout here. I was going to ask if a channel or groove for the spine would work but I see there are flaps to hold it to the board. It’d be sick if somehow you could drop though mount the board so that the he spine would be more flush with the board, mostly for internals. But seems like it’d be splitting it in half.

4 Likes

Here’s a pic of the inside of the enclosure with some 3D printed 21700 models in it. A pack with 70 cells in it would be an easy fit. I don’t think a double stack of 21700 is possible, but there would be plenty of room for padding. It might be possible to do double-stack of 18650 cells especially if they’re staggered.

7 Likes

Love Frenchies lol

7 Likes

Omg… that is just the beginning. I think I’ve gone through nearly 10 Roku controllers since I got him 3 years ago.

1 Like

Hmmmm. Tbh, not sure that enough space. IF you are going to go with 21700 on the raceboard, it’s gotta be higher than 12s5p

18s3p or 20s3p simply aren’t enough amps

3 Likes

Isn’t that 14s5p? I could possibly do 18s4p. There might be some options with 21700.

1 Like

14s isn’t really that popular for some reason, 18s4p is passable I think, you get 120a discharge. Still not a ton but eh. If you’re using a Solo, you need space for that too

There’s a high possibility that a double-stack 18650 would fit.

Maybe 18650 would work, probably would want p28b tho, almost everything else sucks

P28a is alright

The solo will go on a wee shelf behind the tail.

3 Likes