Tomiboi Esk8's official sales thread: Products and projects

Anyone make MBS Rockstar compatible pulleys smaller than 72t? I would really like to use these for road use.

I believe Janux does. I think he has some 60t pulleys. The first batch will hopefully be in by the end of June.

White is winning the color vote. That’s kind of lame. I wonder if it is because it’s easy to dye?

4 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ll start designing some, but they probably won’t be available until the end of the summer. How many teeth are you looking for?

This lip design is likely not suitable. Especially if you designed the barrel diameter for those RS tires.

We have the unfortunate luck of there not being any kind of consistency with the tire bead diameter for the tires we use. However, the hub bore for Evolve tires and xsmell RS tires is to small for any other esk8 tire used. Kenda/MBS/Clever all are a good few mm larger diameter.

Centering the tires will become a massive headache is the barrel diameter is not correct for the hub side and will lead to extremely bad balancing. This is or was a problem on xsmell hubs, newbee hubs, and others.

Since you are molding these you may be able to incorporate enough of a draft angle to the mold to solve this problem and make mold removal even easier. Check the MBS hub cross section for a reference to what I mean.

7 Likes

60t would be ideal.

2 Likes

3D printed ring-shims like the one in the picture work well for that problem. I could probably get some injection molded from some nice material.

3 Likes

That’s really just a bandaid tho isn’t it? If you angle/curve the barrel all tires will be forced center and made to fit, yeah the evolves or xcells will be harder to remove once installed but at least they can work properly with a multitude of tires.

3 Likes

First off, @tomiboi, sick.

Second, that survey, as of posting, results “white” as most popular and “red” in last.

Is this a joke?

3 Likes

White for dye I assume

Also we have a bunch of red rims

4 Likes

Yeah, I think the white is for dye. It might be a good idea.

Sometimes a bandaid gets the job done. The molds are made. It is what it is for now. These probably won’t be my last rim. I’ll definitely keep this is mind.

2 Likes

I think white is the best option! You can go any colour from there! Dying nylon is easy peasy! These look sick Tomi!

4 Likes

Hope not. Everyone loves a good rim job

2 Likes

Awesome work, will be great to have another lightweight hub option :star_struck:

How are the bearing seat tolerances though on them btw? Ive seen some very loose tolerances on some trampa and mbs hubs which causes wobble.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really beat that into the manufactures head. All the proofs they sent me are awesome. They have a nice snug fit.

3 Likes

They said that the best way to solve the problem was to put more inlets for plastic in the mold around the bearing seat. It seems to have worked.

2 Likes

Makes sense, glad it worked :smiley:

2 Likes

We’re in luck. The mold can still be changed to add a chamfer at that position. Now I just need to figure out how much.

3 Likes