tomiboi-Esk8 Ratcheting toe-clips are in stock!

I think they could be modded to fit the S2 bases allowing quick swapping and the toe in/out adjustment as well.

1 Like

I wanted to keep the foot-print on the baseplate as small as possible so that it would fit on MTB decks. The free-bord bindings are difficult to put on anything but a flat board. You can even mount these on an angle. You just have to take your time and figure out the best position for them.

2 Likes

That’s the thing about freebord… I have different positions for cruising/carving 30mph vs knowing I’m going to be pushing 45mph. 15 or so second angle change w/the tool I keep with me.

It’s w/e tho, your bindings are fucking awesome & we’ll find a way to give them another degree of freedom eventually.

I honestly want to see what sort of forces are required to make them break…

I’ve got to say though, I’ve never used full bindings but finding the perfect place for the freebords on a deck 40”+ is kinda hard. I still mess with them every now and then.

@MoeStooge do you have any semi-scientific method for deciding on binding placement?

4 Likes

We use the F-5 half binding. Just foot placement and marking where the mounts fall in place. There are three adj slots on each end for fine tuning. Nothing complicated.

3 Likes

I haven’t forgotten to make a video punishing these things. I’m just planning it out. I don’t want to make a video of me breaking an ankle :joy:

9 Likes

Ordered a pair. Thinking about it more, for those of us who don’t have a MTB I think we could make a Freebord-esque rotating base plate, so we don’t have to drill new holes. Except in my head the base plate doesn’t rotate and the toe clip can move along it instead…

Thank you!! I’ll have to put some thought into a summerboard-like base-plate. Others have asked for something similar.

3 Likes

I’ve been out of town for the last week, but I’m back now and getting ready to do some stress-test videos for you all. I’m kind of excited about this. We’re gonna see what it takes to break them. So far this is what I have on mind. I’m going to start with something practical. I’m going to stomp on them. Then I’m going get a little more brutal. I’m going to beat them with a rubber mallet. After that, I’m going to squeeze them with a 600lb clamp. Then I’m going to rig them to the rafters in my garage and hang and bounce on them.

I’m really interested to see how this works out. I know the toe-clips can handle the forces involved with holding a rider in place during aggressive trail-running, but I’d like to see how they handle a good woopin’.

10 Likes

I think a roll test is one of the rougher practical tests, this would surely last longer than solid ones!

1 Like

They would just ratchet down to the board. If I hit them with a mallet from a few different directions, I could probably simulate a roll-test.

2 Likes

Ordered! Not sure how I missed this thread, I’m so stoked to get these on my board!

4 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

I think a shear test is one of the most important. Going 45mph in a straight lane & sudden near full stop braking… most force would get directed into the binding, & it breaking off & rider going flying would not be fun

Not sure of an amazing way to set up a test for that tho

3 Likes

Yeah… that could be a perilous test. I’m going to hang from them and bounce. This should really put the hinge and ratcheting mechanism to the test.

2 Likes

Ordered! I dunno what they’re going on, but excited to give them a try.

4 Likes

Something something reasons there are not seatbelts on motorcycles

3 Likes

Here’s a link to a video of me thrashing the toe clips with heavy breathing. I stomped them. Then I went Gallagher on them. After that I tried to rip them off the board and get the ratchet to pop. Surprisingly, they didn’t break… yet. The ratchet didn’t give out either. I’ve got more abuse to dish out tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/qnh6nV9HQxM

14 Likes

If you’re just tuning in, you can still get the toe-clips for the presale price of $70 plus shipping until I get the goods (probably two more weeks). Ratcheting Toe-clips (tomiboiesk8.com)

2 Likes

Says video is private

I gonna need that heavy breathing video to be able to get on board :joy:

I think I fixed it.

1 Like