Throw it in reverse!

I use smart reverse, it works great @BenjaminF told me about it when he so graciously spent an hour on the phone setting up my first build. He might help ya out.

1 Like

Did you change anything other than remote control mode?

No clue why I couldn’t get it to reverse.

1 Like

I used ppm only and current smart reverse and left all the other presets. Did you hold full back on the remote

1 Like

I also use smart reverse all the time.

If you’re cruising and need to go in reverse just use your brakes as always to come to a stop, once you’ve reached that point go and fully max out your brake trigger for smart reverse to engage after a short period of time. Then you’ll slowly ramp up into reverse with the stock 7% duty cycle. If you want to stop reversing either push the throttle forwards to accelerate or let the throttle go to zero (or less should work too i think) and then brake again (holding it completely maxed for longer will engage smart reverse again)

Haven’t used any other control method since. Works really well. Just the Reverse to brake then continuing to reverse needs a bit of muscle memory.

6 Likes

It’s possible that the default 7% max duty cycle isnt enough to get your board moving. Bump that up to 10% or 12%. It will increase the torque with which it reverses, as well as the top speed in reverse.

3 Likes

100% on exactly what you said.

1 Like

Interesting, I’m not sure if I full throttled the brake and will test that and what @BenjaminF suggested.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Keep us updated if you got it

1 Like

Current: use this.
I have more torque in reverse and same power as forward.
I can without issue hit 40mph+ in reverse same as forward.
As for the reverse being to hard I have -25 on m throttle curve.
The puck remove has a heavy reverse for what ever reason and well -25 seems the only way
to get the remote near the same feeling forward as stopping/reverse.

Smart reverse has to many steps before reverse happens imo.
Also what if you reverse then stop a little and have to reverse, it will then have to ramp and all that again.
Which in my case the smart revere has become brakes, I ride fakie sometimes so think of trying
to bomb up a hill with smart revrse as your throttle. its a party ender. XD
Since the smart revere has to play catch up to the current speed.

Current should be your option and if you rode a boosted feels like that.

6 Likes

This states it will only use 7% of your suspected 95% set power limits.
So lets say you can hit 95mph, this is bad math by the way.
You only have 7mph you can go now in reverse. and takes you 3 secs to reach that MAX 7% or 7mph
as compared to my analogy or bad math.

If you like smart reverse and how it functions. (I do not at all for many reasons.)
Then I say set this to 75-80 you will want the torque/power/duty for braking and reverse.
Honestly I would just set to 95%.
Then use the throttle curves to adjust the amount of kick you have on braking.

The curves are also duty involved I believe.
So like half throttle or brake is half the duty value.
With that in mind you can adjust the curves to match the feel you need.
You can make it do only when pinned back it applys a 95% duty or the value you set in
smart reverse.

For me I would like to always have a way to use full power if needed. so the curves are where I go.

1 Like

Wow, I really don’t think the smart reverse mode was written with that in mind, but it’s interesting.

I personally don’t like Smart Reverse at all; Current Hyst Reverse With Brake is my favorite but there are a couple things I’d change about that… Maybe one day I’ll have enough time to code them.

3 Likes

Dude…
If you want to go in reverse just use current bidirectional.
Smart reverse is nice with a lower ramp up time. Trying to get to full speed in duty cycle is at the very least dangerous as fuck.

This is what i use, it’s gentle but doesn’t take long to ramp up, i actually use it to sit on slopes at traffic lights, just feather the throttle backwards every 2-3 seconds to counteract creeping forward, and if i do want to reverse, i do it at 6km/hr, which is about the max i feel safe at

2 Likes

Current is the best throttle mode IMO. always get consistent behavior regardless of speed.

Its a little un-nerving if your used to just holding the break, but once you get used to it then it give you the most control.

i have major issues with the inconsistencies when using smart reverse, specifically if your rolling backward and pull the break down it slows you down to a stop then speeds you up again in backwards. its very unpredictable. if you release the break and press again the same happens, slowing you to stop then accelerating in reverse again.

i suggested some changes to fix this behavior and @Deodand coded them up and tested them but i dont think BV ever merged them as he didn’t agree with the changes.

Thats fine, current is the best anyways.

6 Likes

I like the consistency current mode gave me. It is my current favorite.

@b264
Current hyst reverse was almost perfect. I liked that I could hold the brake down and just brake still… Choosing to brake again would reverse me slowly.

It was when going from reverse to forward that this wasn’t the same case. I expected throttle forward to brake me to a stop but it was like current mode where it quickly went to a forward accel. Like @NullBlox, I had to drop the throttle curve to not have it snap from reverse to forward which hurt the normal accel I was used to.

Tldr, make hyst reverse mode work the same going from reverse to forward as it does from forward to reverse

5 Likes

@Venom121212 what’s your goal going reverse?
You wanna be able to ride switch or you need it just to set your board a bit back from time to time?

I use smart reverse on most of my boards and it’s fine for me.
Not perfect as there is that one second switch from brake to reverse where you could still roll a bit forwards.
I very much like it on my quad as the reverse duty cycle control is so nice to get slowly out of deep snow or mud.

Not sure why it doesn’t work for you.
Might want to go up to 10-15% duty cycle to make it work. Mine is working at 7% but I set it usually to 15%.

5 Likes

Just being able to reverse a bit at a time is my goal. Downtown rides specifically I’ve noticed I could stand to reverse a few feet near crosswalks or on long hilly roads.

2 Likes

I wish this would get fixed, seems like a software issue only

Just don’t let the throttle go to 0 while reversing and everything is good.
You still can change the reverse speed like that without starting the ramp up from zero.
Need a bit to get used to, but in general it’s not an issue.

3 Likes

I still think it’s an issue, for me. There no objectively right way to think about “stopping” vs accelerating in the other direction. So in my opinion, pulling back should only ever accelerate you backwards. If you’re freerolling backwards and you pull back on the throttle, you’d be accelerating forward. This is the part that throws me off. Not a big deal just not intuitive to me.