Throw it in reverse!

Decided to finally mess around with ppm remote reverse in the vesc tool today and had some interesting results.

First Try - Current Hyst Reverse

This was almost perfect for what I wanted/was expecting. Brakes were normal all the way to a stop. Holding the brake down did nothing but brake as it normally would. Hitting the brake again started reversing me and was great.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t act the same way switching from reverse to forward. Instead of throttling forward to a brake, it goes to a brake and immediately starts going forward again. This was manageable but not ideal… Especially with gears. I had to raise the ramping times pretty high to not strip gears.

Second Try - Current Smart Reverse

I was amped. I thought this was going to make the previous issue I had with hyst reverse go away.

Nope. I couldn’t get the board to reverse no matter what I tried. Any ideas?

Third Try - Current

This one was interesting. It braked me to a stop and then started to reverse me, all in one throttle braking position. This felt a bit weird but was manageable. My sensors would jitter when going forward to backwards a bit but not crazy.

I didn’t get to try any of the other reverse options but if you guys have feedback, let me know!

Ideally I would want current hyst reverse but having the reverse to forward feature handled exactly like the forward to reverse: where holding the brake and throttle can only stop you (respectively)

12 Likes

Interesting, I have the puck on my mtb with sensors, and current smart reverse works perfectly

wait what

4 Likes

I’m running current and I am afraid to full brake now for fear of flying in reverse full speed on accide t upon stopping. Used to run smart reverse, that was nice.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m confused by this as well, using POM? or metal gears?

2 Likes

Vesc tool’s descriptions aren’t super clear either

Personally I quite liked current smart reverse, where it too would need me to release the throttle after braking, and then push down again to go in reverse, and it’s limited in speed. Sounds like hyst mode does just that though, so I’m confused.

4 Likes

Yeah i tried them all and nothing felt good except current mode. Worked well with HFi.

2 Likes

Going from reverse to straight forward is a load more force than standstill to forward. I didn’t strip any gears, I was just worried I would because the reverse to forward is stupidly fast.

Since my positive ramping is much faster than braking, going in reverse and hitting the throttle required very delicate control on the hyst reverse mode.

So for smart reverse:

When you are reversing and apply throttle forward, does the board JUST brake or does it brake and then start going forward?

2 Likes

Current smart reverse is perfect with hall sensors.
You will stop, then slowly start reversing up to the speed you set it at.
I recommend 7-8% duty and 1.5-1.8s ramp up time.

Only weird thing is that if you let go and try to reverse again, it will first brake, then start the ramp up time all over again. Beyond that it’s what i fully recommend.

2 Likes

In current smart reverse going forward will cross the “0 speed” point without any pause. It will brake by accelerating you forward, kind of.
Pressing backwards fully, letting go and pressing backwards again lighter will slow you down to a stop instead

2 Likes

Interesting. I couldn’t get a smooth reverse to forward unless I dropped the ramping time too low for normal riding.

Maybe it just takes time to get used to.

Wonder why smart reverse didn’t work for me.

2 Likes

Dude.
Glad about this topic.
I’m trying to get this going better.

Tow Truck I’m doing current smart reverse.
Mini Remote.
Chains.

It works…

Reverse goes really slow…

I don’t need it to go as fast as forward but want it to go faster.

Zach @NullBlox

Do you have this figured out?

4 Likes

I guess now I see no difference between how smart reverse should be working and hyst reverse.

So to clarify, in smart reverse, if you are going along and hold the brake down constantly, will it only brake or will it reverse you as well? Double tapping the reverse doesn’t count.

2 Likes

My only successful experience is with current, had to use when I tried my 1:1 gearing to simulate a direct drive since the current no reverse with brake had basically no braking power

It worked almost flawlessly, the thing is, there is a point when you are reducing the speed that it switches from regenerative breaking to active braking, and in like 1% of the time it did a stutter and your heart dropped a beat thinking the breaks were gone for a millisecond

2 Likes

Are you ever worried about throwing a chain? or does it have a guard idk

1 Like

Current smart reverse will get you from moving forward to moving backwards slowly in one set. Hyst needs the double tap thing.
You also need good position tracking for this to work right and hfi doesn’t quite cut it tbh

Btw, why no sensors?

1 Like

If it’s properly tight I don’t see an issue.

That’s not to say it will always be properly tight! They can stretch over time slightly and loose mounts can be quite bad.

2 Likes

I do have sensors?

I wish hyst reverse needed double tap for forward as well.

3 Likes

What gears are these? Are they steel?

Oh I see that makes more sense. I haven’t touched any ramping time settings or curves so I guess my experience is different.

:point_up_2:

3 Likes