Thoughts on Flipsky VX1

If you can try the new monochrome one it would be a good test. The original one the screen was not viewable in the sunlight, the new one is supposedly much better.

2 Likes

Yeah can I take you up on that deal

I haven’t received my vx1 yet. Can someone measure the space inside it and see if this battery will fit inside?

It’s easy to install imo, requires a bit of soldering work to adapt the wires coming from my vescs however.
The battery life is a bit on the short side in my experience, since all the LED’s that indicate charge level, etc, are always on.
The range is about 10-20 feet with no obstructions, and the signal is strong enough when you’re on the board. Never had cut-outs, or funky behavior. A definite plus over the Nano.
Another plus over the Nano is, that you can see the remote charge level, as well as the board’s. I love this.
Overall, it feels much better in hand than the Nano, looking at both in retrospect. It’s also much more durable, build quality is much, much better than the cheap, brittle Nanos.

The only downside that I’ve found is, that the acceleration is slightly lower than it was on the Nano.
(I’m on a Kaly) If I floored the throttle on the Nano, in full speed mode, at a full charge, I’d be thrown off.
I can floor the Flipsky, also in full speed, and at a full charge. Both, the acceleration, and braking curves are different than what it was with the Nano.

I don’t ride in any other speed modes than the fastest one, so I don’t have much experience with those, the only thing I noticed is, that the brakes aren’t any softer in the slower modes. If you’re not used to that, you’ll learn to fly really quick :sweat_smile:

One good upgrade that you can make to the remote is to add a magnetic charging cable, so you won’t rip out the micro USB plug.

Tl;dr: Worth the money, better than Nanos, love it. 9/10.

1 Like

That battery is too big. There are cheaper 850mah lipos available that should do the trick.

For example

1 Like

Max width is 25mm, and that Turnigy comes w/ a C rating completely unnecessary for the remote. I’ve found that these are the max width and height that fit, you might be able to get some more length in there if you found the right form factor. They are purportedly 1000mah. Battery life has been greatly improved over the stock 850.

Stock comes with an 850 now? My bad. I must’ve gotten an earlier batch with dinky batteries.

Yep, they upgraded it. I got the 500mAh version too but did upgrade to 850 myself. Best decision you can make.

1 Like

My VX1 stopped working out of a sudden yesterday…
It’s connected with the VESC but the thumb wheel doesn’t do anything…
Can’t change speed mode and also 2x tap power button to check remote battery doesn’t work too :frowning_face:

1 Like

Did you change the setup at all? Did you do a firmware update?

It was working on the first section of my ride, it stopped working mid-ride :frowning_face:

1 Like

Maybe open your enclosure and check all connections. Did you try repairing the remote?

I haven’t open it up yet, perhaps I will do that later when I get home :+1:

1 Like

Running a Vx1 in UART with x2 flipsky 4.2. It’s essentially plug and play. Other than soldering the + power wire for voltage detection. Kind surprised they can’t do that from the board

I like it. Only prior experience was a hobbywing remote that came with my ownboard. It’s got a nice feel and good trigger resistance. The throttle wheel is a little small, it’s precise but the travel is short

Has anyone had issues with Unity roll to start and remote connection? I can’t seem to get the remote to connect if I turn on the Unity with roll to start. Not a huge deal but kinda annoying/potentially dangerous. PPM mode. I don’t think my mini remote had this issue.

Anyone here know this? He wants the part number for the potentiometer

2 Likes

me too, but not every time.

1 Like

Check your reciever. My servo connector was hitting my enclosure inside stressing the board (Rx) and breaking it internally causing disconnects till it died.

Thanks for your input. It seems to not want to connect when I roll to start and connect for the first time. Subsequent roll to start connections are fine. It connects flawlessly when I power it on via button every time. I’ll have to test it more later.

@Crashmaster I have never had a disconnect but thank you for your input.

1 Like

stumbled onto this on aliexpress
They’re selling them for $33! ($35 shipped)

3 Likes