thinking about going lipo

@mutantbass , just wondering, i’ve heard that Lipos get easily wrecked, because of general user negligence (like not dissipating the battery enough/too much). Does adding the BMS somehow make them more long lasting/help avoid these things, or will these issue’s with them (compared to Lithium Ion) still stand regardless of whether you use a BMS? (I know BMS just regulate/balance cells, but maybe this has a positive effect on them too?)

Keep them between 3.55v/3.6v and 4.15v per cell. They will last hundreds of cycles. People discharging their lipos down to 3v and then come complain about lifespan. Take your lithium ions to 2v per cell and see what happens.

The BMS is there so you don’t have to take them out every time to charge on a Lipo charger.

3 Likes

Excellent work here man. Will have a read and join the Lipogang :firecracker:

4 Likes

Watching your discharge is really important, one for lifespan and two for charging. I accidentally discharged mine to about 3.1 volts and the charger wouldn’t read it. It kept saying, “incorrect cell count”. I had to bring up the voltage to about 3.5, through a different charging mode, for the charger to recognize the battery. I only charge to 4.15v as well and get around 20-25 miles on a emtb depending my riding style. And they have massive punch​:ok_hand: the first day after getting them my board shot out from under me :rofl:

Edit: I have two 13ah 6s in series.

1 Like

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Do you have a lipo charger that can measure internal resistance?

1 Like

Yeah, everything is reading normal still, internal resistance is good, cells are perfectly balancing before and after a ride and capacity is good.

1 Like

Any of you guys run fuses between your lipos and VESC? Just wondering because I’m making my first board right now and confused on if I need a fuse between those, I know for sure I need one for the BMS and charge port, other then that. Got no idea where else

i ran no fuse

4 Likes

You haven’t had any problems?

While we’re talking about lipo pouch packs vs other options, and since this is one of the main threads that pops up when searching “lipo”, I’d like to highlight lifespan as perhaps the biggest drawback to be aware of (other than safety concerns). Generally well treated lipo pouch packs seems to handle a couple hundred cycles, while well treated li-ion cylinder packs seem to handle 4-7x that. Depending on intended use, replacement costs should be factored into the decision.

On the other hand, as most people already know, the discharge rating and discharge curve (voltage sag) are much better for lipo pouch packs than li-ion cylinder packs.

Lipo pouch packs vs li-ion cylinder cells (18650s, 21700s, etc) is almost an apples to oranges comparison, with substantially different ideal use cases. See the battery basics thread with general characteristics of each:

nope

bo point, really, ig you set it too low it could pop on regular use (what i ran into when i had a fuse)

and if you set it high, then, not much use for a fuse anyways

long as you wire correctly, nothing should go wrong

2 Likes

I run an antispark with power button. It seems a low cost to reduce risk of damaging your esc.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s mentioned further up on here but the other things to consider is getting a good dual balance charger & not go for the minimum or like me you will be buying a replacement after a few months having gotten fed up of charging each pack individually. So really you are investing in using them longer term rather than temporarily until you can afford lion.

Also, voltage alarms, they are around $5 for a basic one and are a great budget way of ensuring variance between cells doesn’t mean you end up over discharging (esc only monitors overall voltage so if enough variance between min and max it won’t start cutoff in time)

I figured that removing the case every time to charge the batteries with a balance charger would be a huge pain in the ass. So I got a BMS and a charge port so I can charge the lipos through the BMS and wouldn’t have to remove the enclosure every time

1 Like

i find voltage alarms tend to drain cells unevenly as it’s reading it out,

setting reasonable cuttoffs should be more than ok

I figured the draw is so small that this would only impact of you leave plugged in when not riding? I currently balance every charge, not sure if that’s overkill

balance charging every time def isn’t overkill imo

i do have a cell checker, but only to check the state of the batteries before or after a ride, anytime in between, i use the distani’ve traveled compared to expected range and feel of thevoltafe sag/cutoff

or use a BLE module/robo to see the state of charge of the pack and go from there

My 2c.

Built the below 2 batteries since May, 1st one for a street deck 10AH 10s2P with 4x 5S 5AH 40C, and the 2nd for MTB 18AH 10S4P with 8x 4.5AH 35C.

Both packs are balanced to the last digit on the BMS, x.xx5 / x.xx8 when resting at 37V and around x.xx8 / x.x12 when fully charged at 41.3V.

BMS Fully Charged set at 41.3V
Soft Cutoff 36.5V
Hard Cutoff 36V

I’ve built an external LLT BMS charger which I use to charge all my builds.

Street deck is fused with 80A amp which I doubt I ever reach. MTB deck is unfused as I wasn’t sure what my amp draw would be. Looking my VX2 it’s only 17A (per motor) going 30MPH uphill, so an 80A fuse would be more than enough.

There’s a 20A fuse soldered inline on the Charger lead (not seen).

May seem like I’m not making full use of my lipo’s but I built these with a range in mind rather than wanting to deplete them fully and see what max range was. This way my lipo’s will live a long a happy life and I get that sweet unlimited power.

5 Likes

I use 6 x 2s 10.000mah.
They fit easely in a eBoosted LY Evo enclosure.

They are wired to 2x 6s balancers. but I will change that to a 12s balancer when it arrives…

Batteries (299 eur for 6 pieces.):

BMS (25 eur):

It works perfectly well for me. Lots of power, so I can test the limits of my vesc and motors.
Did not test the range, but it should be 500wh calculated.

1 Like

How are the Ovonics now? I’m thinking of switching up my current 10s setup since I accidentally fucked up one of my CNHL lipos getting the enclosure off for a winter inspection and the company isn’t sure when it’ll be back in stock with the one I need, sounds like it gives the board more of a kick and better range so I’m thinking on getting a pair

1 Like