thinking about going lipo

I’m kinda not looking to spend $300+ dollars on an ESC though.

2 Likes

The Spintend uBox is pretty nice, plus it comes with a remote with cool extras like light and horn connections! Also uses 75/300 architecture and under $300.

4 Likes

You will need a loopkey/antispark for the Maker X though.

2 Likes

I was checking out the DV6 and like it so far. I’ll have to check out the spintend when I get home.

1 Like

im ~210 lbs too (big boi)
20-21wh/ah is when I push it to the max

2 Likes

Make sure you put a fuse on your charge port.

5 Likes

Keep in mind your what your budget is for a balancer and power supply is. No point getting decent LiPos and then skimping out on the balancer.
A cost comparison with ion will help but if it’s raw power or torque you’re looking for then LiPos are your answer.

3 Likes

Sure, here is photos:

Measured lipos dimensions, ordered plates (its really cheap) and tighten it with duct tape for packaging

5 Likes

Thanks! I thought it would be pretty confusing but those diagrams are pretty easy to follow.

1 Like

There are some confusing parts, like some BMS don’t have a B0. The one in the bottom two images does, the one in the top image doesn’t have one connected.

If it has B0 though it’s connected to B- internally, so in a bypass configuration, if it’s lacking B0, you’d need to connect a small size wire to B-. And in a discharge configuration you’d already have a fat wire connected to B- so it wouldn’t matter.

2 Likes

Truth.

3 Likes

Is the inference here that a loopkey / a/s is not required if you discharge through the BMS?

2 Likes

Yeah but there are a few reasons why I don’t recommend discharging through the BMS.

Knowing how to do it isn’t bad though.

Just don’t do it :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s only annoying because of the packs in parallel, and it’s still probably easier than building a lion pack. I don’t end up needing to pull it that often because I run Bluetooth BMS to keep an eye on it. BMS Recommendations
I talk about the BMS a lot in his thread and get into the wiring specifically.
As far as longevity goes, I have used it now for a year and a half with no noticeable change in capacity. That being said, I don’t often run the pack all the way empty.
I also saw someone mention that you can get good money for used lipos, and I agree. Even after a good deal of use the cells seem pretty new, and could probably fetch at least half of what I bought them for.

2 Likes

Same settings? I was under the impression that the v6 can handle more power and maybe slightly smoother but same settings as a v4 should ride the same for the most part.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure why but I thought it had something to do with the V6 hardware upgrades.

3 Likes

Out of the 2 witch one do you like [quote=“JoeyZ5, post:108, topic:50988, full:true”]

You will need a loopkey/antispark for the Maker X though.
[/quote]

2 Likes

I’d use a loopkey on either one, or any any ESC, even if it has a soft switch.

You don’t have to unplug the key, but having the option is nice :sunglasses:

The Spintend does 17S and the MakerX does 12S max

2 Likes

I think the extra $80 for the spintend is worth it. You get a remote, antispark, and those cool horn/light ports.

Edit: and bluetooth

3 Likes

Spintend Ubox will retain resale value better as well

4 Likes