The "Why Can't" Thread

It’s like you’re watching me. My neighborhood has a golf cart, power wheels, bike parade type deal on the 4th and I want every child there to ask for an electric skateboard for Christmas.

5 Likes

There’s gonna be a dozen dad’s hating you and 3 annoying shits that wanna be your friend :grinning:

2 Likes

Apparently I was the topic of conversation at a block party last week. 2 of our friends were there and said all reviews were positive. Shocking because I Iive in a golf course neighborhood full of old retired grandparents or young new families.

Spread the infection…

2 Likes

Here a couple miles from the beach 60 miles north of LA people want to know about the board everywhere I go. People roll down their windows at red lights to ask. “How fast? How far? How much? That’s cool.” Dads and moms as much as kids.

I am not sure the esk8 community realizes what is about to hit in the entire PEV world. People are waking up to the fact that it is ridiculous to push around 2 tons of steel to move one 150-200 pound human.

Three edits. I am reading too many @mmaner comments.

5 Likes

I run BLDC too, but because FOC is too FOCing quiet. What can’t FOC be more noisy? I like to hear what’s going on down there.

2 Likes

Everything is fine. Your junk isn’t supposed to be making noises when you are FOCing. Or at any time. As far as I know.

2 Likes

Why couldn’t esk8 motors be halbach arrays and use proper distributed windings instead of this concentrated crap.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried liquid or bead balancing of pneumatics like semi truck drivers or motorcyclists?

I have not. This lead tape works well.

Wouldn’t both of them lower the power density?

Distributed windings would make the stator shorter for the same external motor length no?

No, distributed windings are just harder to manufacture, especially for smaller stators, but machines exist for it already. They have significantly better power factor and would benefit more from FOCing.

Halbach arrays increase magnetic field strength, meaning fewer turns are needed for the same kv rating so lower resistive losses. I can see in my 6374 can that there is potentially space for lateral magnets to create a halbach array.

But alas it is just not enough, I want to experiment with an 80mm stator at some point.

1 Like

Thanks, in my mind the distributed winding would take a lot of axial space, this picture shows what I mean, since you have a lot of overlap between each phase

3 Likes

Ah I see what you mean now. Yeah, the wires do take up more space above and below the stator, but this space appears to be unused and available in some of the bigger esk8 motors anyway. If not, just make the can longer, the magnets don’t necessarily need to be longer.

1 Like

Why cant Mouser shipping be cheap :frowning:

2 Likes

Why cant manufacturers list ALL of their specs. Every single nut and bolt used should have its specs on the website where they’re sold. I am trying to fix my friends meepo hub that lost its hub motor cover due to lost screws and guess what? I CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT SIZE SCREWS TO BUY.

7 Likes

Yess.

I lose so many nuts and bolts and nobody says what size they are. Once I get more experience I can probably identify them better but it would be very helpful to have that.

It just hurts to guess and order 100 of the wrong size.

Get one of these guys, it’ll save your sanity :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You can 3d print these too! Super helpful

4 Likes

They sell em at home depot, we usually just put them in a pocket and forget we have them there.

1 Like

Why can’t there be locking bullet connectors?
If a connector snags on something or comes loose and gets yanked out you’re gonna have a bad time. I’ve had bullet connectors on rare occasion pop out and it’s definitely unpleasant.

4 Likes