The Unfancy Remote | WIP DIY reliable remote

exactly,

1 Like

the way it can go wrong is that the ball solder actually works as the bridge between the metal piece and cell flat top, acting as the nipple

1 Like

This is a commercial battery tube in the model. MM Battery Tube V2 (SS304/18650).

I’m guessing it supports both button tops and flat tops.

On the subject of selling remotes/files. Yes, my files will be free, but I’m also considering selling shells or full remotes/kits, depending on what happens with the pcb and such. I would really like to make the remote resin printed, so no sharp edges and tighter tolerances. I just have to test the durability first.

Regarding wireless charging, if I can fit a coil in there, then I’ll put one in. If I can’t, oh well. Feel free to design your own shell with wireless charging.

I’m still conflicted on using a battery tube. It takes up a lot more space, and adds quite a bit of cost to the final product. I’d like to make it work without a battery tube if possible.

The springs also came in today. Impressed with McMaster Carr, I ordered them on Saturday night. They’re pretty stiff, so they can be swapped out with weaker springs pretty easily. I’m going to print up two shell halves and put it together and see if everything works as intended.

2 Likes

Every time I’ve looked into resin printing, SLS Nylon PA12 was the better option. Does resin have the strength and durability ?

(I assume cost would be better if you’re printing at home)

If you use the right resins, in the right ratio, it can be incredibly strong. I won’t get into detail here, but I’ve printed items that experience stresses orders of magnitude higher than this remote would experience, and they perform fine.

Please do share. Maybe here: 3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

I’d love to hear more.

1 Like

why is everyone thinking about 21700s? I thought the idea was to do an 18350 version which I would be super hyped for. an 18350 is plenty for a remote and already small enough.

1 Like

Ain’t no kill like overkill

5 Likes

Right now it fits 18650.

1 Like

I still feel that’s too big, looking at the most popular items to contain an 18650: vape mods and flashlights, I find the only way to make them discreet is to have the cell take up most of the space. with something like a remote where the PCB and HID is such a large important chunk I would think keeping the entirety small by using an 18350 would be preferable, hence why most remotes use LiPo pouches under 1Ah.

or is everyone just into holding something the size of a grenade?

k I’m in

2 Likes

You’re right, 14500 would be much better :rofl:

3 Likes

I have 18650’s sitting here beside me, not 18350’s. The size of the remote won’t change whether it’s a 350 or 650, because the size of the pcb dictates the size of the remote, hence 18650’s are going in the remote.

You wanted a removable battery, you got one.

Shell is made up with springs. The trigger spring is way too heavy, so I need to go a bit lighter. Thumb spring is pretty good. It feels a bit thick, so might try to slim it down. If I go much slimmer though, 18XXX batteries won’t work, so I’d have to look at 14500 or something else. There needs to be some reinforcement in certain areas too. If you pull the trigger back and let go, it breaks some pieces of plastic off, no bueno.

6 Likes

Thing is an 18350 would allow for a shorter remote. The cells are slim enough, but an 18650 is pretty tall compared to the PCBs.

18350 cells are also pretty cheap, I recommend getting a couple to work with.

Dude! I love the enthusiasm, but I haven’t tested V2 yet :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

It looks like I have to speed up writing the manual!

Guys, everyone has a different opinion on what the best features are, but that’s the beauty of making your own. We now have several options and there are more to come, and as the project matures this is only gonna get better.

11 Likes

Ahhh, I see now. I was confusing the model of the battery tube with a model of an 18650 cell. My mistake :slightly_smiling_face:

If it doesn’t work out of the box I demand a full refund on this completely free and open source project!

I’m guessing it will take a month or two for everything to arrive from Aliexpress. I’m comfortable making SMD component changes or modifications. Just excited to test out a new remote :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Have you not looked at any of the screenshots I’ve posted? There’s is a negligible amount of length added by using a 18650 tube vs 18350. Feel free to design a shell that uses 18350 if you are that passionate about it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say negligible, it’s 30mm

If you look at this picture, yo can see that this

Doesn’t make any difference as the PCB it’s almost the same size as the 18650 cell. A shorter cell would not make the remote any shorter as you would also have to fit the trigger mechanism.

Edit: drawing of how awkward the shape of the remote would be if the cell was shorter:

4 Likes