The truth about AWD?

I have a nice complete set of 2x TB 6374 190KV and 2x TB 6355 190kv.

Once I have enough ESCs for it I’ll give it a shot. I have a 12S7P Samsung 25R :battery: to Firehose Amps into test drivetrains. Also some very steep trails around me with sand and rocks.

3 Likes

I run my quad with split battery for front and back. The front motors need more energy than the back motors. I would rather mount bigger motors to the front than to the back thou

3 Likes

Split battery is smart for current distribution, do you use 2 chargers? Or are they hooked up to charge together?

Also do you know what causes the front to need more current? That’s interesting.

I use lipos on my quad and i charge them always separately :wink:
It’s a top mount mtb so no issues there.

4 Likes

Oh huh right lipo packs are easy to break up.

I’ve been pondering swapping motor direction and trucks for a while now. Who doesn’t want better brakes?

It’s a gear drive. No belt issues BTW

If you have the Black Forest in front of your door, it could be an option for me.:grin:
Loose gravel with a 25% incline? Forget it with 2WD.

2 Likes

FWD doesnt give better brakes imo. I found I couldnt use the brakes as freely as before, else I risked throwing myself if I was either at too great of a speed or too quick of a thumb movement. Im sure this could be changed in my vesc settings, but I also prefer the feel of RWD braking :man_shrugging:

Also I’m not too sure if its true, but I was told that if my VESCs were to pop their DRV with FWD, theres a good chance the wheel will lock and Ill go flying… But I havnt yet, so its just see-say.

This is all based on my experience with Spuderoo, a dual hub Spud.

2 Likes

off topic, but did you notice a change in torque/brake/topspeed? Was it worth it?

1 Like

I bought into all the 4wd hype when Carvon was pushing it. My 4wd cost too much, weighs too much, and gets little use. I went 4wd when the v4 motors couldn’t brake well enough. I enjoy the added torque and braking but that’s about it. My bulky 6p drains in no time. And yes my biggest issue is with the ability to turn. Ive been trying different bushing combos but haven’t found the right fit. Eventually it’ll probably get taken apart, sold for parts, and have atleast 2 boards made from the sales

2 Likes

Everything looks impressive when you weight in at 125lbs, speed up the footage by just a lil bit and pull away from someone who’s barely moving :rofl:

Badass thou :metal:t3:

4 Likes

And how many 4wd boards have you ridden to work this out?

IMO i dont think most people would make proper use of 4WD settup BUT i do think they have their benefits.

I started thinking about 4WD after watching the racing at paris. I was discussing with Louis about how grip was a limiting factor in the offroad course and how he couldn’t put down the power that he had. as @deckoz says, most dual 6374 boards are plenty powerfull enough but putting that power down can be hard to use on anything other than road conditions. since then ive been riding more and more on trails and wet grass and often feel the back slipping, even under low power sometimes.

Our thought was that 4wd means you have 4x the grip on loose terrain. Additionally with 2wd if you put to much power down on wet/loose surface you risk the back slipping out and loosing control. With 4wd this is far less likely to happen as your only putting half the torque through each contact point.

The problem is that when most people think 4wd they think quad 6374. at that point your not comparing similar 2wd and 4wd setups. sure a board twice the power will be twice as heavy. but what if you scale back the power on everything to keep it similar to a dual 6374 settup. smaller motors means smaller escs and smaller drives that have to handle less torque. yes it will be less efficient due to increased roiling resistance but it wont be super current hungry so no need for bigger batteries and if its for racing then what does range matter?

Then last month we went to he evolve event in devon.

Evolve brought with them a bunch of custom 4WD baords with smaller 6355 motors and standard evolve electronics / batteries. They were light weight, had tones of grip and had awesome turning. one of these boards ended up winning the race and beating all of the super powerful trampa boards at the event.

Im not sure about street boards but after trying a 4wd evolve in sold on the idea for AT boards. Felt like it was on rails and its hard to explain but it feels solid when it pulls, rather than feeling like your being pushed from behind.

12 Likes

Suprised%20ooo%20gif

@CiscoV vs @Deckoz race? :thinking:

10 Likes

Haha. That would be fun!!
12s 4wd vs sickass 13s :metal:t3:

7 Likes

I’m sure @deckoz is a good rider but I’ve never ridden with anyone of the balls of @CiscoV. Unfortunately it wouldn’t be close lol

4 Likes

Haha. Except for @Touch_V who has balls of steel and that board to back them up! I stand shallow next to that dude

5 Likes

That’s true I ain’t about that 50mph life

6 Likes

you guys make me feel like a fairy for riding how I do :joy:

I just like my bones inside my skin ;-;

8 Likes

Haha no shame In that man, we’re just stupid

5 Likes