The truth about AWD?

You got it Dex

16 Likes

If and when you have a major crash/fall you lose a lot more money…that’s the truth

5 Likes

I like to have 3WD for redundancy.

23 Likes

But you also have double the losses from the drive train so although it may be less stress on you components going 4wd from 2wd will probably cut your range significantly.

This has not been true in my case.

I was running dual 6355 190kv red maytechs for a long time and consistently getting around 320wh usage on my 22km commute, according to metr pro.

After changing to dual 6369 200kv Psychotiller motors, I started consuming around 380wh on the same commute.

All the rest of the setup remained the same. Gearing, wheels, battery and ESC. The only changes were trucks and motors (needed wider trucks for the new motors).

3 Likes

If the gearing wasn’t changed to compensate for change in kv. That could possibly affect range. Not to mention any possible changes in resistance when reconfiguring and putting together new drivetrain.

3 Likes

I’d agree with you if the change in consumption weren’t that big. It was over 15% increase in consumption for only 5% change in KV.

It depends on the copper mass in each motor, the strength of the magnets, the airgap, which all boils down to the KV & the resistance

1 Like

Import vs American muscle!???:thinking:

3 Likes

Toyota beats Chevy any day of the week :kissing_heart:
Edit: inside joke

1 Like

Hahaha I have my doubts about that

1 Like

Another funny thing to add to the mix is, my top speed actually decreased with the change.

We all know the spec kv is just an estimation with about +/- 5% precision.

So this tells me the 200kv motors were actually around 190kv and the 190kv motors were actually around 200kv.

1 Like

You can have that with FWD.

2 Likes

All of this. And I’d sell the Pantera immediately.

Unless you are drag racing, you don’t need and probably don’t realize that you don’t even want a 4WD board. More ESC means less room for battery. More motors means more draw on battery. More gears or belts means more rolling resistance which means less range on top of drawing more current which already is reducing your range.

And its twice as fucking heavy.

So yeah, unless your offroad on knobby tires in the dirt, or drag racing on thane or street slicks, its kind of pointless.

6 Likes

that depends entirely on how is fails. Double the parts means twice the potential for failure of one piece, and throwing magnets in your motor, clogging a gear, snapping a belt, smashing a can on your direct drive, BMS failure, ESC failure resulting in CAN bus anomalies, receiver failures, and any number of other things can still put the entire board off the street.

3 Likes

Yea but then before discussing 1wd, 2wd or AWD, it is required to discuss if you ride a lemon :lemon: cause at this point it’s a death trap!

2 Likes

This man also speaks the truth!

I’m actually wondering, if you have to have 4WD, why not smaller motors at the front, where you have less traction accelerating anyway. You’ll have less weight and inefficiency, but at least have better brakes.

What’s difficult then is timing the motors right + the weaker link draws back the bigger one. Potentially unbalanced with this kind of setup.

However I’m very tempted by the FWD thing!

1 Like

I see a point for 4WD on heavy off road if the terrain you ride requires it

A lot of the trails I have around me are loose sand, 2WD simply get stuck in no time, hope that once I manage to build a 4x4 I can ride them

3 Likes