The Trampa / VESC battery systems

you missed this. “budget” and compact 75V vesc

2 Likes

The single HD is happy to swallow 16S voltsge.

4 Likes

Plus running 12s on a 75V vesc would add some safety margins on voltage spikes. I‘d love to see a dual 75V hd vesc

1 Like

I remember frank saying tramper would never make a dule vesc as it’s boring. Glad to see trampa taking some ideas from there competitors with connectors mounted at the side and built in to the controller or as frank called them “copy’s”.

Any rethink on making a single MCU idea for motor frequency harmonisation on dule ESC now it’s incorporated in to the OS project?

@Trampa you say in the video vesc 6 will be king of control because of the 3 shunt design dose this mean th HD is 2 shunt design?

4 Likes

In fact the hd is still just two single vescs put together :sweat_smile::joy: so Frank wasn’t too wrong.

5 Likes

So is flipsh** Dule but the trampa one is component based so can exchange parts

That’s what I mean. For the HD if one side fucked up you can just replace that side of the vesc. That’s not possible with the Flipsky escs.

1 Like

If the power stage of one side f up you can exchange part of that side

Both are 3 Shunt designs. Vesc 6 has 3 phase shunts, HD has 3 battery sided shunts.

3 Likes

A controller is always per channel, no matter what you do. Two powerstages, two driver chips. We still think one processor per channel is better.

2 Likes

Sounds very harmonic… why should two individual motors be harmonised? They run at different speeds and duty cycle most of the time. Each time you take a turn for example. Also each motor is a bit different anyway.

4 Likes

By alternating you smoothen out power spikes on lower duty cycles less noise is better for electronics

1 Like

In theory you could reduce the ripple current on the capacitors a bit, but that is more of a theory than realty. On top of that, the capacotors are dimensioned to cope with the ripple current. The HD has super low ERS Caps btw.
Ripple current reduction is the last reason why you would choose to control two ESCs from one processor. The primary reason for single MCU is cost reduction. The HD is not a design that primarily focuses on price point, so we decided to have the luxury of two processors.

3 Likes

I understand that future versions of this will also be compatible with Molicel P42A ect, right? I have no idea of batteries; how do I assemble this without playing coins (up/down) on each battery? Do you have a manual?

Edit: Great progress by the way also with the VESC HD.

The PCBs have a nice print, showing you each cell orientation. Finally you can double check row by row, using the print on the top pcb. Molicel p42a would fit into the 21700 version. Any 21700 cell will fit, even the 5000mAh Tesla Model 3 cells. That’s what I use, 1.55Kwh of juce.

2 Likes

I see that there are 7 spots per group and 12 groups in total. Does it matter where I place the cells within a group, i.e. do they have to be adjacent or can it be random?

I mean within each group they just have to be in the right direction…like if you fuck up and one of the groups has 6 cells facing up and one of the poor bastards facing down you’re gonna pop a fuse and it’ll be a bad day

Mind you there are little marks that say which end goes were

external-content.duckduckgo.com

5 Likes

Okay, so position does not matter, but direction/polarity does.

Ya, make sure all cells are the same voltage, then plop them in the orientation the pcb says

1 Like