The Trampa / VESC battery systems

so… rides like ASS is going to be a good thing now?

5 Likes

Advanced Startup System If i remember correctly. its mentioned in trampa their latest podcast, I can fully recommend to watch it

2 Likes

so somebody finally figured out how to get enough noise out of the coils to determine where the mag poles are?

2 Likes

How is it different from HFI? Just extra hardware bits to make it work better?

Advanced Sensorless Startup will be a lot less noisy compared to HFI. We are still a bit away from having it, but it is in sight and we already have perfect proof that it works and can create 100% torque from stand still. In consequence the new VESC 6 MK V and upcoming credit card sized twin VESC HD are already ASS capable. We will even be able to read motor temp without temp sensor.

16 Likes

Man I need me some ass capabilities. Been waiting for this :smiley:

3 Likes

@Trampa Frank can you say voltage capabilities of the HD? Has IMU build in?

1 Like

5 Likes

Awesome bro! Is not listed the Trampa site yet!!??
I think and hope that it will be also higher voltage version🙏

Is your new ASS based on this?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=103025

3 Likes

So… SFSASS? Or ASSSFS…

2 Likes

First twin model will be 60V rated. Single HD 75V rated. We could go up to 100V on this design.
Higher voltage than 12S will not bring big benefits to esk8 really. The only real benefit would be thinner cables. Cable thickness is not really an issue though, and thinner cables tend to break more easily. Benjamin Vedder and I do not think that going higher in Voltage is really beneficial for esk8. We did the maths and efficiency gains are marginal.

6 Likes

Yes and thank you.

I have a unique transverse flux hub motor that seems to need some kind of advanced controller spec to drive. I’m hoping this will work for it!

what are the prices :slight_smile:

IMU is built in, also NRF52840, hibernation, twin CAN, 2x COMM port. Seperated, swapable powerstages for each channel. Dual processor design.

9 Likes

Attractive. We tried our best to shrink the size and price.

4 Likes

So between 12s and 18s you’d stick to 12s?

1 Like

I would, yes. Higher voltage makes sense for Monowheels and some other applications. For the outrunners used in esk8, it doesn’t matter so much if you use 12 or 16 or even 18s. Slightly reduced copperlosses do not justify the downsides of higher voltage systems. Charge time is also not really lowered. Most losses we see in our typical outrunners are not so much voltage related.

10 Likes

Looks really, really, nice gents.

Great to finally see some more production style battery builds coming onto the market.

8 Likes

The DIY Onewheel is exactly why I’ve been waiting on a higher voltage VESC with a built in IMU. I was hoping I’d see one from Trampa to accommodate a 15s or 16s build, so it’s disappointing to hear this.

2 Likes