The Stage | Hummie Deck | Gummies | Dual VESC 6 | Dual 6355 | 10S5P | 3D Printed Enclosure

there was some slight delaming of the carbon on a couple but ive never heard of anyone cracking it like that. if you hadn’t routed it Id send you another but cant if you route it. Ive seen some pretty crazy routing of the deck and cringed. I’ll give you 20$ off if you join the kickstarter. selling them for 110$ plus shipping.

looks getting dangerous

7 Likes

Thanks Hummie, no need for that, I know it’s completely my fault, just wanted to know if other people reported

I would love to get another one one but it’s simply too expensive with shipping and customs, I will go to a smaller board for now until I can go for a full mountain board

2 Likes

id do 30$ off.

haven’t seen that except one deck I had that got ran over. looked exactly like that and then some. infact I rode around with it about 5 miles pushing drunk that night till lost it on a hill…push up the hill and give the board one too many pushes and it went down the other side! the wheels and trucks were good and disappeared into 2am

3 Likes

id do 40$ off

10 Likes

Thanks, I will think a bit, one day I hope to go full Hummie build with hubs and all

Certainly the roads I ride put a lot of strain on in, big cracks, expansion joints, ridiculously bad roads and all

I just remembered now that when I lost brakes in a hill and bailed the board flipped on the side of the road, nothing extreme, but could have been the start, I will look in some photos to see if I can spot when the cracks started

2 Likes

Stop using it ASAP, and skin the deck with carbon fiber, bottom and top, 2 layers on bottom and 1 layer on top. Then put all the guts back in and rebuild it.

That’s what I would do, anyway.

edit: apparently someone beat me to the suggestion :rofl:

4 Likes

That’s part of the plan

I will keep it and probably do that in the future, other idea I had is to make some aluminum reinforcements on all 4 corners, maybe on top of the carbon fiber

My fear of laminating is that it will not adhere well, the outer bottom layer appears to be more cosmetic and less dense than the rest

This should go to the confession thread, but I couldn’t resist trying 10S5P@80A at least one time before taking it all apart

I’m not sure what is the best place to put the GT2b antenna, suggestions accepted

3 Likes

I was thinking… Do you think the cracks could have been caused by how you flattened the deck to do the routing?

1 Like

I think they have been caused by the routing, but no by the routing process itself, I looked at some old photos and the cracks definitely weren’t there

On another topic, just tested the board at full power for the first time, to be honest its really scary and not for me, at least for now, without a full face helmet and more protection

The first test was keeping the motors at 40 A each and moving the battery to 80 A so I have full torque across all speeds, but then increased to 60 A each motor

For these high current is mandatory to have the ramp up and ramp down at a low value or the board becomes a bit unpredictable, since I updated the firmware I forgot to do that

At one point it cut off abruptly and I almost ate, I don’t know if it really lost signal or it’s just the ramp time coupled with being the first time I’ve used the GT2b

Keep in mind that the max I’ve used before was 40 A in each motor and 15 A battery since that was the limitation

2 Likes

Another day of tests, the main thing is, with the previous currents limits I could go full throttle all the time since it wasn’t that strong at the top end. Now it’s a beast and you have to respect it a lot more, smooth throttle use and all or I will fall

I’m running 40/30 A on each VESC for now

2 Likes

Small update on the crack problem, superglued all of them, they held so well that on the rear left another crack developed instead of the glue cracking open :rofl:

Superglued again and it’s fine for now, but yeah, this deck is definitely done, it’s a matter of time until it crack again, I’m not seriously riding it, just doing the tests for the next build

1 Like

Damn that sucks

1 Like

@rich I think you may be wrong, not sure yet

First ride with the 6.5” Urban Treads. It’s hard to say what I think, I can put it this way, if I can only have one board, for sure it won’t be with tires, the feeling I got is that you are disconnected from the road, sure, it handles bad roads like the holes and crack aren’t there, roads I had to go slow even with the Gummies it doesn’t give a fuck

What hurt my brain it’s the consumption, the same I was getting with the Gummies, what the hell, dure, I was going a bit slower until I get used to it, but this ride had a significant amount ride on tall-ish grass and loose sand, and resulted in 11.4 Wh/km

The truth is at the most fun to ride with the Kegels

One personal but important point for me, it has to look good, and the narrow trucks with big wheels doesn’t cut

But a bit point, lack of wheel noise, I can only hear the motors and belts, the rest is dead quiet, this make me want to build the direct drive mountainboard even sooner for stealth forest cruising

8 Likes

I’m ditching the tires, got a flat in the middle of nowhere in a place I rode a lot with the Gummies without worrying

4 Likes

Yep that sure is annoying. I rode through a field and punctured 3/4 out in the middle of a giant ass orchard and the walk to the nearest road for an uber was awful.

Slime helps tons, and I also recommend protective inserts like for bike tires that add a bit of protection from pokes. I have yet to do that but slime is a necessity. Almost every time I ride I get a sticker in the tire but it keeps all the air in.

2 Likes

Those are the droids you are looking for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Ride a couple of times before judging. I didn’t fully enjoy my first rides, too because of the reason you mentioned. You are right that the feeling with pneumatics is imprecise compared to thane. With thane you have a very direct feeling and are connected to the road which gets lost with pneumatics.

But this feeling changed after a couple of rides and I won’t switch back to Gummies even when the look is much better imo. My commute to work is 30 minutes with Gummies and 23 minutes with pneumatics on the same track. This is because I don’t have to worry about anything and keep on riding instead of stop and go.

Ok, the decreased range (-33%) sucks, no doubt.

Welcome to the club :wink:.
It seems the Trampa tires are very thin when you get flats that early. Fill in the green slime and forget about punctures. Even when you already have a flat you can insert the slime, spin it, inflate it and you are ready to ride again, this works for punctures up to 3mm, easy. Today I had my second puncture with Evolve tires (without slime) but only because the tread is almost gone. I was riding for months without any flat.

1 Like

@Saturn_Corp @spei will get some tomorrow definitely, and the protection tape when I’m in the mood to disassemble the wheels

@rich today I was way more confident with them, ridding almost normally, the main issue is that I got overlapped effects of getting used to the GT2b and the tires, this after my board loosing brakes all the time and not recovering from the previous remote, so the confidence level is low

I pumped the tires as much as I could with my small hand pump, definitely improved things, I have no idea how much that is, the gas station air couldn’t handle a tire this small, what pressure you run? And glad to hear that you can put slime in a already punctured tire

And talking about efficiency, another ride, and again the consumption is the same as the Gummies, 10.8 Wh/km

This ride I took it to some bad streets, not they have cracks or holes, just that they are really rough, but they handled really well, no need to slow down, Gummies I had to go at least 1/3 slower, and Kegels 2/3

1 Like

Had 7 of these fuckers across all tires, and a bunch of smaller ones impressive that only one got flat

And back how I like it :grin:

8 Likes