The Stage | Hummie Deck | Gummies | Dual VESC 6 | Dual 6355 | 10S5P | 3D Printed Enclosure

Don’t say that, will always be brothers :grin:

Realistically, if I just want to cruise around the neighborhood, I could put something together with the amounts of spare parts I have, only battery that is lacking, I have a old 10S3P made from NCR18650B, not capable of much current, but doable, would have to rebuild it, and last time I looked one of the cells appeared to be a bit rusted, it’s been sitting on a shelve for more than two years

First it was a 6S4P, and after that with a few new cells, a 10S3P

2 Likes

Now to the nerve wracking part of removing the battery that is pretty well glued without starting a fire or damaging the cells

4 Likes

Time to bring this board back since I miss riding on thane

Jus putting together whatever left over parts I have, it will be a funny combination of parts. Weak 10S3P made of NCR GA with more cycles than I know to count? Check. Aliexpress 6355 motors that cost $25 each? Check. Titanium motor pulleys? Check. StormCore 100D? Check

This is at least for now. Nice thing is that with the StormCore, the Hummie deck should fit 10S5P of 2170 cells with barely any room to spare for wiring, a receiver and a FlexiBMS, this with my slightly routed deck. With Samsung 50E this mean 875 Wh and 70 to 100 km range, double stacking make it even more appealing

First step is to make yet another revision of my press fit 3D printed pulleys. The failure of the previous revisions is that the steel pins doesn’t glue well to the ABS and it end up sliding and touching the mounts. To remedy that I did a few grooves for the glue to to hold on and will do somthing similar on the pins with a Dremel

6 Likes

Love this build so many cool updates :bulb::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Good idea with the grooves, make sure you also open up the surfaces with some sandpaper :ok_hand:

Modeling those groves is CAD magic though well done :open_mouth:

magic

2 Likes

did not read every rant in the thread

How is the 3d printed enclosure holding up? I love the low profile of it.
Was it worth the work to make it look tidy? Might want to give it ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks man, definitely I will rough it up good

Actually it’s pretty simple to make this pattern, make a swept triangle cut and add torsion to it, pattern this a few times around the hole, do another one with the angle to the other side and also pattern that the same amount of times, and finally make a another pattern to propagate it to all 5 holes

Definitely worth, I must have between 2000 and 3000 km on it, has a few cracks that I super glued, others that couldn’t be fixed and a lot of scratches due to the board being so low. Overall it held up well, but regular ABS is not the material for it, need something stronger, more flexible and less subject to layer separation, ideally I would like to print it in one piece in something like nylon PA11, but way too expensive

I would also make some design changes, thicker walls, maybe change the screw location to eliminate the cracking problem, wouldn’t look as cool thought

5 Likes

Thinking of printing it in two pieces, have access to a big printer, and making a mould out of the print, then vacuumbag some CF. Have a kit for the mouldprocess ready to go.

Would be fun if we could figure something out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That would be cool, I bet if I had made the design more smooth in the corner, a layer of CF or even glass fiber would have made it last forever, but having the sharp design feature may not work

1 Like

All roughed up, sanded, cleaned and glued

Those titanium pulleys do look sexy, the motor shaft is a bit short but I think it’s good being 10 mm, plus set screws and retaining compound

Now to the battery pack, have to disassemble my ebike one

Now I’m thinking if I do a top mounted external pack that can also be used as range extender for the mountainboard or inside the enclosure. I still have an old 10S3P that I can use as the extender, one cell is badly corroded so I’m a bit afraid of messing with it, could make a 10S2P with it, but then I don’t have how to charge it

5 Likes

Keeping the build theme, the battery is done, capable of massive 30 A discharge, so I had to take precautions and use a 10 AWG wire, but only outside, connecting the P groups is a 16 AWG, and off course a 30 A fuse

Also in one half the P groups are held to each other using double sided tape as a test, it isn’t strong but provides good isolation, the heat shrink holds it together

And after quite a while of chiseling and sanding all the silicone that held the old battery is removed so the double sided tape can stick to the wood, could have used silicone again but that takes too long to cure and I want to test ride tomorrow, still need to do a pice that will house the switch and the charge port on the top of the rear truck

The BMS is one that I bought at least 3 years ago and never used, hope of works, the battery is quite unbalanced since it was split in one 6S in my ebike and one 4S for a test board, so they are 3.83 V and 3.72 V respectively, I could have balanced manually but would take too much time

3 Likes

First ride impressions

4 Likes

Been a while since I wanted to do this, and unfortunately I’m out of dual lock Velcro, so tape will have to do for the initial test

4 Likes

Quick as always, just a month latter, here we go, all in place with Dual Lock, need to make some 3D printed guides to run the wire in the side of the deck

Should have around 70 km of range, will see if I can test next weekend

6 Likes

Some testing for the Iron Foot challenge, looks like the sweet spot is around 20 km/h, quite windy today so it might skewed the results a bit, and also the ESC measurements not being that reliable

I known can do 38 km with chill riding on this board, so maybe 65 to 70 km with the range extender

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think I might need to print new pulleys

And I’m surprised it isn’t skipping and I ride with very lose

4 Likes

Will you share the enclosure file? Love your work!

Sure

CaseStagedV1_part4.stl (4.3 MB)
CaseStagedV1.STL (14.5 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part1.stl (1.9 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part2.stl (2.5 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part3.stl (2.5 MB)

2 Likes

CaseStagedV1One.STL (40.5 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part5.stl (2.2 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part6.stl (13.6 MB)
CaseStagedV1_part7.stl (1.0 MB)

2 Likes