The relevance of motor kv with gear ratios taken into consideration?

While I have experienced this in person, this is a controversial topic which has its own thread even.

It’s fair to say not everyone agrees with that.

2 Likes

Generally, going for a really massively overkill motor on a lower-average-power build (like dual 80100s on a street board, for example) will lose you some efficiency, because of the extra friction, eddy, and hysteresis losses. It’s best to match the motor more closely with the intended application.

Not to mention higher cost and weight.

I’m not using wattage numbers, because those are irrelevant. But bigger, beefier motors, that can handle higher current, are worse at low load.

1 Like

I really wanna make a scientific test with this. Maybe a motor dyno or something

Once again, that wattage number means nothing. If you’re running a motor on 20s, it’s going to have twice the wattage of a 10s setup at the same duty cycle % and same current. If you have a setup that can dump a lot of current into a motor, the larger motor will be better as it should have less resistance and it would have more thermal mass to deal with the extra heat of increasing current.

1 Like

@ShutterShock come do your dyno thing

Ughhh

It’s on a list somewhere haha

Also there already is a motor dyno thread

I just dont see why a larger motor would have more torque. If it’s more efficient, the actual number would just be negligible and it shouldn’t be more noticeable.

For the same motor current, at the same KV, it wouldn’t.

A larger motor will have more torque capability, because you could push it harder before it saturates or otherwise reaches its limit though.

5 Likes

Up to somewhere between 6-10k rpm, higher kv, same size, same no load speed factoring gearing will run cooler on account of the lower copper losses but at some point spinning the motor faster and faster will cause the iron losses to exceed the copper losses, defeating the efficiency advantage of spinning faster, but you’ll have to measure it experimentally to be sure what that point is.

4 Likes

Well, yeah, that’s what I’m saying. FWIW, in most cases a decent 6374 motor will max out the current capabilities any esc, especially if the rider isn’t a fatass.

4 Likes

It’s covered in a different thread, but the lower resistance same kv motor has the same torque for the same motor current, but the lower resistance one has more motor current for the same battery current, so the larger motor gets more torque at the same speed for the same battery current.

3 Likes

Isn’t the difference in resistance almost negligible unless you’re going from something small to something really big?

#derail

2 Likes

Exactly. I wouldn’t expect the difference between a 6355 and a 6374 to be more than a handful of percent under most conditions.

I could totally be talking out my ass though, it happens.

2 Likes

However another consideration is that larger motors take longer to get heat soaked - not a problem for some people, but definitely a problem for larger riders or hilly areas

With motors overheating, braking gets reduced too.

3 Likes

I think it could be noticeable…

1 Like

70mohm to 20? That’s a huge difference.

Sometime this week I can give you the resistance values of a flipsky 190kv 6355, 6368, and 6384

Since things are already confusing, throw cooling into it

A bigger motor with poor cooling can have lower continuous power capability than a smaller one with good cooling. At the same time the bigger one might also have lower efficiency due to higher rpm related losses, the power necessary to just overcome all kinds of friction is not small, specially on bigger motors

A big advantage of big heavy motors is thermal inertia, they can handle a huge torque spike for seconds or minutes before overheating

In truth, all depends on your riding style and no definitive recommendation can be made

5 Likes

How did this setup work out for you?

Currently running 205kv on 16s. Soon to be 18s. It’s loud, fun, no problems yet.

2 Likes

Awewome! I have the same satup in my new build.