THE New Go-FOC DV4s

Guessing you run stock “fault time out” of 500ms.

Drop it way down for a better shot of not breaking an old man hip

Not the case. It’ll still cut power. On firmware 6.0 I got tossed off my board bc of an overcurrent fault, and I have that setting enabled. Slow abs current limit uses filtered current to determine if you’re over current, not unfiltered current. It has nothing to do with the actual response.

And no my fault stop time is not 500ms. I got thrown off at 80ms.

3 Likes

Ok then. I’ve been tossed with it off and not with it on both at 500m/s.

1 Like

ok :rofl:

Beats me :man_shrugging:t2: both going up hill, 1st time with it off locked up ate shit and smashed my puck. Second with it on I felt the vesc cut and just slow down no lockup with the davega showing the fault and flashing.

I haven’t started changing the fault stop time until recently.

Sure thing bud, whatever u say

1 Like

Is it possible that the first time was an overcurrent error due to an unfiltered current spike, and the second time was simply thermal throttling rather than a fault? Hitting your thermal (or voltage) soft-cut would produce the exact behavior you’re talking about.

If the Slow ABS Current Limit setting was working as intended, then it’s likely that your filtered current never went over your ABS Max value, and therefore you would not get an overcurrent fault. The other folks are right, the Slow ABS Current Limit setting does not change the behavior of your board once a fault occurs. It just changes how hard it is for that one particular fault to occur.

1 Like

this sounds like what i’m experiencing. going uphill the power starts to decrease a lot and then the motors just stop and i get tossed.

what does this mean

Here’s a video of what’s happening.

“Fault time out” is the setting that controls how long your esc shutsdown/cuts power in the event of a fault.
Default is 500ms(.5 seconds) and is more likely to toss ya from the board vs 50-80ms.
At the lower setting you should still feel a blip when a fault occurs, but hopefully quick enough that you don’t fly over the front of the board.

2 Likes

69ms ftw

Ok sorry. Yeah sounds I’ve been lulled into a false sense of security by coincidence but it did register the same abs overcurrent fault on both occasions.

This makes me a bit nervous again. It seems a bit random at what the maker esc’s will let you set the absolute max at. Someone mentioned it’s double the detection value which would explain why I’ve had a truncated parameter error trying to put it higher than 150 on a d75.

You sure you’ve detected hall sensors?

1 Like

idk, i posted screen shots of my config above. when i click the sensors tab nothing is present.

1 Like

If you’re not sure if your skateboard will CUT OFF, try burning the tires. Quickly toggle your thumbs. Test it out violently.
But it will be a bit costly tires…

1 Like

yes it cuts off when “burning tires”.

what is strange to me is the motors i’m using are off of a boosted board.
the max power a boosted board puts out is 20 amps per motor at 50volts. the cells in the boosted battery are rated for 20 amps each for a total of 40 amps at 50.4volts

i have the dv4s connected to a p42a 12s2p pack set to 35amps per motor but it doesn’t seem to have the same power as the boosted board. on the boosted board i could “burn tires” but with the dv4s setup it cannot and after loading the motors (ie uphill full power from a dead stop) the board creeps forward and cuts off throwing me off.

1 Like

Maybe boosted board motors are not suitable for DV4s, if you can try again on the 63 diameter motors

Zero reason they wouldn’t be. Motor detection works fine.

1 Like

You’d be surprised

4 Likes