The mysteries of Smart Reverse

It seems like every time I go to program an ESC, about 50% of the time I can’t get Smart Reverse to work. Quite often, I can’t get it to work initially but somehow later I’m able to get it to work, usually by running through the setup input wizard again and doing nothing different to what I had done previously.

Right now I have a board I just put together for someone else and it has a 60D+ in it and I can’t get Smart Reverse to work. Yet one of my boards has the same ESCs in it (same firmware, and same type of remote) and no problem (that one also didn’t work initially). I’ve also had this happen recently with Solos too where I couldn’t get it work and then at some point later I managed to get it work.

It’s a damn mystery to me. Is there something I’m missing?

2 Likes

Recently just had this issue, spent an hour just trying to make smart reverse work. Then it hit me that I can use metr to program vesc, so I did, and it works right off the bat without any issue.

Mine was 60d+ also

2 Likes

Ran through these issues with a DV6 on another board. Could never figure it out. Sometimes it would stick, sometimes it would forget after going back into VESC again. I’ve learned to fully embrace hyst reverse

Well at least it’s not just me. And sure enough, after I posted this yesterday, I went back to the latest board and went through the setup input wizard again and this time I was able to get the smart reverse to work. So strange. The good thing at least for me is I’ve never had it stop working. It just seems to be something with getting it initially going.

Curious as to why anyone would ever need a reverse function on an esk8? Like, can’t you just turn your board around with your hands :thinking:

1 Like

I find that just simply not using Smart Reverse and using Hyst Reverse mode works every time, perfectly, on the first try, and behaves better as well for me.

1 Like

If it’s available, why not use it? Some people use bindings where it’s not as easy to jump off and adjust. I know for me personally there is one path I ride where there’s a sharp S-bend that you have to basically stop to make. I can make it by going forward and backing up once to make the turn. Much easier than hopping off and adjusting etc

1 Like

If you’re stopped at a red light facing downhill then reverse can come in serious handy. As well as about 1000 other situations.

I agree, I’m glad I took your advice and went hyst reverse. Much preferred and not buggy at all

1 Like

I just stick my foot under the deck to aim my board any direction with very little effort. Years of kicking longboards around has made it quite a reliable reflex to just let my feet do the work. Just trying to understand why some would choose to use reverse :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I have a freaking kicktail and still use reverse sometimes.

Just saying people don’t need reverse is kind of ridiculous. It comes in handy, and many folks want it.

1 Like

Never said people don’t need reverse Brian… I asked why you prefer to have it. No need to call out my question as ridiculous. I’ve personally never thought to myself, ‘man reverse sure would be handy right about now’ but also don’t think any less of you for not agreeing with me

5 Likes

Gotcha, my bad.

Yes there are a lot of times when reverse comes in handy. Just a few:

• stopped at a red light facing downhill

• you changed your mind and want to turn there, but you just passed it slightly

• sometimes it’s just fun to cruise in reverse

• you’re not on your board, but you want it to come back to you

• car in front of you starts reversing

• you just saw money on the street

• you use foot bindings

• the electric signal just turned red, so now you want to go a different way

…and about 1000 other things.

Some folks may not want or need it, and that’s fine. Track racers may not need it.

3 Likes

+When you see a box you want to put the boot to but passed it

I use reverse heaps, not a fan of not having it or needing to flip a switch/button to activate.

What is the dif between smart and hyst reverse?

between if u just hold brake, or u need to return to center before pulling brake again, to engage the reverse

2 Likes

That’s disgusting!

2 Likes

What is disgusting?

How about for when you are patiently waiting at an intersection amd someone cuts the corner and runs you over? Its pretty handy when your staring at a bull bar

Smart you hold brake to come to a stop, then short delay and backing up begins (usually at low speed). Hyst is brake like normal, release and press brake again and it goes in reverse (full speed available). Hyst is quicker for me to reverse and do what I need to do

3 Likes