The Muckraker re-build & race progress - 4WD race board - octopus deck w/stooge track pack

Swapping back to the cyclones for tomorrows session at the indoor go kart track. Cant believe i used to think these tyres were wide :rofl:

Also changed my esc enclosure lid for shits and giggles. Ioving the OG double layered aluminium look

7 Likes

can you do some riding both on the indoor track? would like to hear feedback.

is the track slick? less surface area on the cyclones should give you more psi to hold grip.
How hard is the cyclone rubber relative to the srb? (i assume you have the 45A)

@JeffyJ has done extensive testing on multiple sets of tyres at the indoor track and the grip on the cyclones has been unbeatable so far, even compared to other pneumatics. The BRPs cant get enough traction on the polished surface from what Ive seen with Jeff

2 Likes

I had a message this morning with the following question and i figured i’d share the response in this thread in case any others bump into the same scenario

Thanks to @JeffyJ who had experienced this before, it was an easy fix. Unfortunately I ruined one of the old bearing in the process but a small sacrifice to make, and could be avoided with a little more precision.

3 Likes

We had our first indoor track session in a long while, and my first run back on pneumatics since making the switch to BRPs about 6 weeks ago or so. Ive gotta say, I’ve never slid out and fallen over at the track so much in all my time riding there.

The BRPs have obviously made me so much more comfortable to throw my body around and ride harder around corners, that when swapping back to pneumatics and apying the same riding style, they just can’t compare to that squared contact patch.

I would really love to see a proper racing tyre suitable for the indoor track… something with a similar width/shape to the BRP but with the outer rubber compound similar to the meepo cyclones we run there

3 Likes

How you think the BRPs would compare to pneumies on regular street riding? Probably not worth it unless track racing?

Hard to tell whether its the BRP shape or the compound or a combination of both which make them a superior wheel on the street.

I suppose the only way we’ll ever know is if we can compare the two different sets

would be cool if you could try the RT-60s on that track. They have the grooves increase PSI to the ground, which may be better for slicker track.

still wondering if the meepos are a softer compound than the 45A SRB, or just less contact patch increasing PSI.

@JeffyJ has run the grooved RT’s and mentioned they are better than slicks, but still slide out too much.

We had @Static89 join us with his brand new semendeed-track pack build running the RT wheels and also mentioned them not giving him enough confidence to send it round the track properly.

Finally starting to see some proper race boards here in West Aus, with at least one more joining us early in the new year - another octopus build like mine, but i believe hes going to try @Ean.esk8 3 link trucks

7 Likes

70A or 60A?

wonder if a RT-45 would fit the bill.

anyhow better than the slicks. suggest a PSI vs compound direction maybe.

1 Like

I’m not sure which compound they were running, @Static89 and @JeffyJ could provide some insight

I’ve tried both RT-60 and RT-70. I even chopped an RT-60 down to make it narrower (upon Moe’s request) but it still did not perform as well.

1 Like

Heh Moe’s already been here. XD

I’m just curious about what makes the differeence. that 1st ESK8CON track I rode so many different boards. and the boosted urethane and kaly xlr tires seeemed to have the most traction… so trying to understand the why’s. and again… none of it was good. XD

Try the landsurfs man. 300 bucks for a set at your door in 3 days. Can’t comment on the surface you ride on there but they definitely have more grip and are more durable than the meepos everywhere I’ve ridden

4 Likes

I think the Boundmotor Octopus deck with the Stooge Racing 3link trucks would make for an ideal short track board.

I noticed last year some of the longer boards really struggled around the tighter turns. Recently one of the local riders set up a Boundmotor Octopus with a set of 3-links I had and it carves really tight turns. The wheelbase is shorter than the other similar size decks running TKPs. I think it is the short wheelbase combined with 3-link trucks that makes this set-up such a good short track board.

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I didn’t notice this before, look at how much shorter the wheel base is on the Muckraker compared to the other boards.

Shortening the wheelbase definitely increases maneuverability. I have slapped a set of 3-links on a LY Switch deck with front extension plate. It is a good few inches shorter in wheelbase to my Semendeed build and it whips around T Race course much easier.

1 Like

I highly doubt the Landsurfs will be better on the indoor concrete track for similar reasons to why BRPs arent as good inside.

I think youre right. The shorter wheelbase makes this board very manoeuvrable when combined with the 3 links. Ive only had a handful of rides on the longer boards but notice the lack of steering. Some considerations for those boards are that the bushings were a harder duro for heavier riders and the fact that im a short ass means my stance is all stretched on a longer deck :rofl:

The current setup on the 3 links is flat angle at the back and medium angle on the front. Admittedly im turning pretty hard on this to make those tight turns but the stability on the rear gives me the confidence to go faster on the straight

4 Likes

As racing progresses, I am pretty confident we will be seeing short track specific racing boards.