The MBNEF - why need 15 char?

Righto cocks, been a while since I posted a build thread and i got some minutes so I figured i’d have a crack.

I was most upset when @janpom ditched the OG moniker for the Granda Plata, but its cool cos now I can claim it as a build name… this is the MBNEF (mostly but not entirely flat)

Parts:

Deck: Granda Plata 43 (link above)
Enclosure: DIY fibreglass
Battery: 12s4p p42a on Duck Battery compact pcb kit with LLT smart bms
ESCs: OG focbox 1.7 x 2
Remote: Puck with Poastmote case
Motors: TB 6374 190kv
Drive train: BN220s, adjustable baseplates, helical M1 drives and Boosted 105s
Accessories: Davega and Robogotchi

I started this build with the deck skin which is a little backwards for me, I usually save that til last. But I needed to skin the Demonseed in the pictures as well, and its so much more efficient for me to do two at once, so I just sent it. Nothing out of the ordinary here, the deck was a pleasure to work with and skin, if you would like to know more about my skinning process, you can read about it here.

Next up was the enclosure. Got lucky, the buck I made for my demonseed was a perfect fit, but I did want a little more height in this enclosure so I packed it up a little bit before applying the filleting wax.

Laid up with polyester gel coat and vinylester resin and then stuck in the vac bag to cure. Was racing the clock with this layup as the first layers were starting to kick as I got towards the end and it started heating up real good. It could have gone pear shaped real quick, but I managed.

Because I did this as a layup over a buck, rather than into a mold, I knew I was gonna need to do some sanding to get a decent finish, so I tinted the final layers of resin a little differently to see what kind of effect I ended up with after sanding. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea I was really stoked with the final result.

Finished it up with some black paint and a technique i’ve wanted to try ever since I first saw @Nacho do it a while back. I love it!

Battery was next with the @BenjaminF compact pcb kit. Not gonna lie, I really didn’t like using this kit.

I’m accustomed to using 0.15 nickel, and the 0.2 precut tabs that came with the kit were just not fun to weld for me.

I folded the tabs the wrong way, and ended up doing a lot more soldering than I needed to. For anyone using these kits, don’t be a dumbass like me. Chop the tabs shorter and fold them over each other.

Finally, I was using an LLT, so the harness that comes with the kit (Daly) didn’t work for me. I could have soldered the wires directly to the pcb, but that seemed a little savage to me and I wanted to use the header. So I needed to splice the daly harness into the LLT harness as well.

Perhaps the only part of this battery build that I actually enjoyed was soldering the header to the pcb. I’d never done that before and was surprised at how easy it was.

As a disclaimer, I don’t think it’s fair for me to judge this system, as I’m pretty set in my ways when it comes to battery building and doing something completely different like this was bound to cause some frustration. I do think it’s a good kit, and there are things that I like about it, but the actual building part of it is not one of those things :sweat_smile: sorry Benji, I do love you buddy xoxox

I like to mock everything up before I properly assemble so I can figure out how I want to run wiring and whether or not I need to modify or design any components to make assembly easier/neater.

For this one I decided that I definitely wanted a sturdy clip to route the motor wires through, a loop key, and a cable flange…

Designing and printing went well. The cable guide was originally going to be a little more elaborate, but it proved too hard. I won’t bother going into the successes and failures I had, but overall the initial idea was a failure that I learned good lessons from :sweat_smile:

The loop key was designed to be as slim line as possible. Everybody seems to hate loop keys sticking out, so I came up with this design to keep potential damage to a minimum and also to stop it looking like a weird thing just jutting out of the enclosure :rofl: it works well, i like it.

The cable flange worked pretty well, printed with TPU and everything is a nice snug fit.

On to assembly!

All the usual stuff here…

Shortening motor wires, reterminating them, changing the phase wires from the escs, wire management… bla bla bla. Everything worked nicely and went to plan. Until I got to motor detection…

One of the TB motors was doing fucking weird shit on detection and then on some test zoomies, there were big sparks and smoke.

Opened them up and found this loose winding, as well as the mounting screws being too long and shorting in one spot :man_facepalming:

I epoxied the loose winding back in, epoxied anywhere the mounting screws may have touched the windings, and battle hardened the cans while I was in there.

Redetected and everything was seemingly fine…

Full final assembly happened only to realise that the adjustable baseplate interfered with the motors on hard turning. Some late night grinding and filing got that sorted real quick.

First test ride was a great success, fully drained the battery and had a blast while doing so. I didn’t like my bushing combination so I changed that, oh and the flipsky antispark switch shit itself on the first ride. Lucky I had the loop key :sweat_smile:

That’s basically it. There is a story to be told about the second ride… but that saga is ongoing. Lets just say, I believe those motors were beyond salvation and I paid the price.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk cunts!

34 Likes

Awesome build dude!

1 Like

Interesting lol

What did you not like about it? My KWeld happily chugs away at 0.2, in fact, I’ve pretty much exclusively used 0.2 for a while now. Only thing is, I can only do 24 sets of welds before burning my fingers and taking a break (exactly one end of an 8P group)

Maybe that is why lol

I like this build a lot, very pretty

3 Likes

Exactly. Everything gets too hot. I use 2 kwelds and i still managed to overheat both of them with the 0.2

I’ve had zero issues using 0.15 exclusively, so the extra heat that comes with welding 0.2 is not fucking welcome in my workshop.

1 Like

Lmao fair fair

How many J do you weld 0.15 on? I use 55J for 0.2

2 Likes

33J on positive, 30J on negative

And yeah for 0.2 its up around that 50J mark somewhere

2 Likes

Ah wow yeah big difference haha

Completed the initial post! Forgot how long these take :rofl:

3 Likes

Nicely done, Albert! It’s humbling how good you are at so many facets of DIY.

4 Likes

Thanks Bill, but I’m just a bogan havin a crack. Jack of all trades, master of none as they say.

4 Likes

I love the loop key and sensor wire solutions

2 Likes

I have already shamelessly stolen this.

3 Likes

This build is awesome! I love the skin :heart_eyes:… and the enclosure… and the cable management. This is great craftsmanship. Also cool that MBNEF still lives. I have a weak spot for that name.

5 Likes

Awesome one. But Al tell the kids story about riding barefoot and why that’s a bad idea :grimacing:

4 Likes

Thanks Jan! The MBNEF will live on. It is truly a great name and a legacy.

@EreTroN :rofl: story time will come when the wounds on both man and machine are healed

4 Likes

Smashed it out of the park ya cunt

4 Likes

Seriously, hes making us look bad.

3 Likes

the inner flat earther within you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Build is gorgeous and now I’d love to hear the story behind pirate and lizard tats :lizard::pirate_flag:

2 Likes

Lol, its a bogan rite of passage to go to Bali and get a shit tattoo.

I had never been to Bali and just finished a big dollar contract in Dubai, so I bought my partner and daughter tickets to Bali and met them there on my way home.

One of my mate’s had recently been to Bali and got a tattoo of a gecko that was actually really good, so I wanted to show him up by getting a proper shit one.

Spent a while on google searching ‘shit lizard pictures’ or something like that. Got it down to a shortlist and then got my daughter to pick her favourite.

The tattooist killed it. Did a fucking awesome job and was a top bloke to boot. So the next day we went back and got the skull and crossbones done in equal fashion :rofl:

6 Likes