The Last VESC TOOL Update

I updated the vesc tool software and i noticed that when i was setting up the motor, i seen images of all different kinds of motors. The outrunner motor icons had this ( ~2000g) next to them. When i clicked on one of them, a pop up said that if i picked the wrong motor that it can damage the motor. I’m a little confused, by any chance you know which motor icon i should click, im using (6374 149kv SK3) motors.

1 Like

Use the 750g option.
This is what is closer to what you are using and I have been using it with my 6374 sk8 without problems.

Going with the 2000g may use a higher detection current that could damage your motors

6 Likes

Will do that, thank you.

99% of all skateboards use the 750gr class motors. Even a 80100 would be the 750gr option.

3 Likes

I think the old wizzard was so much better than the new one. You cant even decide max Amp e.g anymore. I know you can do all that after, but in my world this is a step back.

3 Likes

For real.

1 Like

I agree, they tried to cater for the noobs (and I can see why) but they made it unfriendly to the masses I think.

There should be two wizards in my opinion - basic and advanced motor wizard. Noobs pick basic and we chose advanced.

4 Likes

You can click advanced/ override and manipulate values. Max Amps are for motors are very precise now and battery settings can be adjusted in the wizard. The Wizard is faster now and both VESCs are nailed in one hit. FW updates for both VESCs in one hit etc. Every aspect is a lot more convenient and faster now.

Manuals:
https://vesc-project.com/node/178

1 Like

while we are at it…is there a way to access every vesc tool version released to far? Github confuses the f. out of me.

1 Like

Not really, except Git hub change log. Complied, outdated versions are not accessible. VESC-Tool is backwards compatible, so you can always use the latest Version.

sure, but what about bugs? For example. I used 1.08 and it worked fine. 1.09 came out and had a bug which resulted in a “bricked” VESC after updating the firmware.

The only way to revive it was with version 1.08 and reflashing the FM. What if i deleted 1.08 already? There is no way to get it except if someone still has it and sends it over.

1.13 should work just fine. If you have an issue, you can report it and it will get fixed.

sure but that takes time. I need a quick and simple fix if anything happens

1 Like

But you also have to consider that a bug can happen and it gets fixed and you want everyone to be safe and therefore do not spread the old versions having the bug. VESC-Tool tells you whenever you should update.
Sure we all want bug free software and the best possible UX, but ultimately things can happen, even if you test thing for a long time. There is no active software out there that doesn’t evolve over time.

1 Like

Why not just keep various versions that you know that work on your computer?
I know this is not what you are asking but it is a solution for those rare times when an update does not work as it should.
At least this is what I do.

2 Likes

i do keep the versions. I started using the vesc tool with 1.04. Weeks have gone by until i decided to change something. 1.08 came then 1.09 which bricked the vesc. Used 1.08 to revive it. Since the i never changed anything. Now i want to update it = 1.13 is the latest and if that version has a bug my only option would be to revert all the way back to 1.08 instead directly to 1.12 for example.

2 Likes

True. But you would still get a working board. It’s not like 1.08 or another older version would render your board handicapped.

Anyway, I agree with you. I am just pointing out there is a quick solution without too many compromises.

2 Likes

Thats correct. Reverting back solves hopefully the problem. But again, if you deleted the old file (for whatever reason) you rely on others or on a fix. Maybe we can set a users provided folder with older versions and important notes like “1.09 bug with Firmware” not sure how well Benjamin would greet this idea though.

2 Likes

Dropbox for the win.

7 Likes

Problem is that people say things like: Use 1.08 and all your issues are gone. It’s better than the latest version because xyz.
1.08 could have a bug that got fixed… Idea is to make the current version the best version to use.
Unity just had a FW bug and I’m pretty sure that no one wants anyone to get access to that buggy FW.
If it was available, some noob would install that by mistake or on purpose.
There are guys who never use the latest, assuming older versions are more stable.

Switching forward and backwards should be no issue if you keep the old versions on your computer.
Bricked devices can be recovered via SWD Prog feature with ease. I would be amazed if the 1.13 version will brick your ESC. Vedder does not recommend to use outdated versions.

1 Like