The Great 2000km+ Esk8 Adventure Into The Arctic Circle

As for now, I’m going with the aforementioned backpack route simply, because it’s simpler. I’m going to tie some of the bigger things to the top of the battery pack (sleeping bag pouch at least) to get some more space in the backpack. I do believe I will have enough space then to carry everything I need, but as I start to find how and what kind of gear I need for the camping equipment to feel comfortable during the nights and how much space that needs it will start to converge towards a point where I can make more based estimation if indeed everything fits.

1 Like

Awesome! Been thinking the same thing for about a year now, difference being I would start from Stockholm. Let’s make it a race… :metal:

2 Likes

Photo: Thomas Bresson

How about a trip through the Vosges (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vosges)?

1 Like

Amazing adventure !

Have you consider not using straps ?
I built a long range board without straps and flattened the banana shape of the Holypro deck with cork layers (full process here [FR] )
It’s soooo comfy and my knees/feets don’t hurt anymore. :+1:

3 Likes

Went in for another go in the forest last night. Managed to be out there for 5 hours this time and actually
managed to fall asleep, for a short while at least. Woke up at 4AM to the cold and this was with all the stuff on I had brought with me. I have a Vlog style video exporting at the moment, so I might post that at some point.

One colleague mentioned in the morning in our work group’s Telegram chat that he had been using an Exped air pad/mattress in tenting for 10 years and the positive experience he has had with it. My team leader then mentioned that a particular store chain (Lidl) might have actually had a batch of air pads available, so I walked my ass over to the closest one (close enough to not need to esk8) and indeed they did have them and for a very reasonable price. So I got one.

I’m gonna try again this night with this, because if this works at least for the bottom/back coldness then I can very likely just get a bit colder rated sleeping bag for the top side insulation in case I still feel chilly.

Learning.

9 Likes

Here’s the video from the second night out. I have the last night’s experience exporting at the moment.

3 Likes

3rd nights happenings. I have ordered some more gear, so probably no more camping tests before those arrive.

At least I made it to sunrise this time… Even though the sun rises at 4:15AM currently :smiley:

5 Likes

Just wanted to drop by to say nice seeing someone planning such adventure with an eboard.

I have had such idea a few times though not to ride full distance but hitchhike cars and then use board to get out of cities and reach next hitch hiking spot.

Though the board would need to be relatively small then for such operation.

I would also try out how comfortable is it to ride with all the gear on the board and on your back, if weight is excessive im not sure how many kilometers is it really possible to do without any sort of backpain, not to mention the stability issues due to extra weight.

For that reason a small trailer behind the board is the best solution, I think.

Also depends what kind of roads are u going to have, in my country I could barely use the car roads as most have non-existent space for bicycles alone, not to mention 4 wheeled boards…

So cruising on such roads would be not just hard but dangerous as well.

From personal experience Ive ridden board with laptop bag on one side and backpack as well, the whole turning was heavily compromised.

2 Likes

There is no distance close enough not to need ur board, unless thats within 100m straight road (at least for me) :rofl:

1 Like

100m you don’t esk8… :open_mouth:

I don’t, I just use my ready-to-go scooter next to the door.

1 Like

Fair nough

So are there any updates on this? Anyone else with such plans?

@SimosMCmuffin in regards to loosing heat under your hammock, I have had this issue as well. There is a product called an “underquilt” that hooks up to your hammock that helps immensely with this problem. In your second night pictures it seems like you figured out this idea with something, though it kind of looks like a blanket. This is good, but it is not very light and does not pack small. I would suggest investing in a proper underquilt, as most of them can be packed down to the size of a grapefruit.

2 Likes

Will concur with @BenjaminF

I’ve spent 100+ nights in a hammock and my wife and two girls use one too. Under quilt is key but pads sometimes work. The problem with pads is they slide all around during the night. The brand Klymit has ones with wings that are cut for hammocks. They have two versions, one has more insulation.

Trip sounds like a blast.

2 Likes

This project is a demonstration of what the Finns call “Sisu”. I love it!

As for where to spend the night or just charge, I would highly recommend using Couchsurfing. If you have a decent profile there and post your plans, you might find more than enough people who will be happy to offer you a roof or power.

3 Likes

This very lightweight alu foil had amazing effect in tent under our sleeping bags. We also had one as cover over the bags in colder nights and you instantly feel the difference with it, as it reflects your heat back. With its width of 120cm, it would almost roll around you in hammock.
https://www.bikester.se/campz-double-mat-aluminium-M345629.html?vgid=G386827&eqrecqid=c35d73c2-c936-11ea-b064-a8a1591300f3

2 Likes

Well, due to the global component shortage at the moment, I can’t really run my company full-time, so I guess I’ll gonna try to do this trip this summer. I believe I’ll be unofficially (non Guinness verified) breaking one world record, but more on that later.

I have come up with the battery solution and it’s gonna be a battery module from a BMW i3. The module is a 12S, 120Ah, 5.3kWh pack and the i3 has 8 of them in series, so it’s around 400V at full charge, which is a common battery operating voltage for a EV car. I’m estimating I would get around 250-320 km of range in a full discharge cycle depending on the weather and riding speed. I’m going to be using a FlexiBMS Lite 12S to charge the pack and monitor/balance the cells.

“How are you gonna fit that pack onto your board?”. We’ll you see, I technically aren’t, because I’m making a battery trailer for it. I can also make the trailer a bit larger, so I can use it for hauling some of the more unwieldy or heavy items instead of having them in my backpack. I’m planning on making the chassis for the trailer from 20x20mm aluminium extrusion, which I’ll then make panels for to bolt onto to enclose it.

I’m upgrading my wheels from the 8" numies to 10"ers, to make rough road surface patches a bit more tolerable, considering I’ll be spending hours riding everyday. I’m in the process of getting the new rims for them prototyped.

The design has slightly changed from this, so it’s a bit easier to 3d-print.

I’m gonna be ordering more filament to to finish all 4 corners, so might as well print them all in one color once I have the design finished, so free feel to choose the color they are gonna be printed in below. (Now, I already can see even putting in the option of pink being selected for the Lulz, but whatever…)

What color should the final rims be
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Blue (slightly darker than the one in the pictures above)
  • Pink

0 voters

After getting some testing done on the earlier hammock I’ve been trying to decide between a tent or a bivvy, as I didn’t have that good of a time and it wasn’t the temperature, but it was the sleeping pose. I like to sleep on my side and stomach and it just didn’t work out that well with the traditional hammock design. Waking up due to a leg cramp in the night or a very sore back in the morning wasn’t something I was going to look forward to on the trip.

So I looked around for a different solutions and came across the lay-flat hammock design, in which, as the name suggests, you can flay in a flat position. There were couple different manufacturers, but I liked the design by Haven tents, who had crowdfunded their design on Kickstarter succesfully and more importantly, delivered to their customers.

I’m looking at the model with the tarp and thick air mattress included.

I looked for reviews on YT and overall it was met with positive reviews.

This seems like a good choice, as it can either be used as a hammock and strung between trees or a tent and laid on the ground.

World records.

There are 2 records which are going to be considered in this trip.

• Longest journey on an electric skateboard
  • Longest distance on an electric skateboard in a single battery charge.

Official longest total distance on a journey is verified by Guinness and held by STEFANIE HASBAUER at 1210km

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/437727-longest-journey-by-electric-skateboard

Unofficial longest total distance on a journey is held by Jack Smith, going coast-to-coast of the US on an Inboard M1, which is something around 3000 miles (4830 km)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoUeDc-hWKN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1itb249h72k42

So technically I should beat the official journey record, but not the unofficial record, so I guess there is nothing special going on here in that regard.

What I think I will be able to beat though is the longest distance in a single battery charge. AFAIK the unofficial record is/was held by BigBoyToys (RIP) at 100 Miles. Newer info welcome is anyone is aware of a longer one.

I believe I will be able to beat this if I try and go for 180 miles with a lower average speed, but I can’t say yet for sure, as I don’t know what kind of efficiency my whole system will have with the new wheels, battery trailer, battery, and all the needed gear I’ll be hauling, which will increase the weight and aero drag area, but I believe that this is something I can beat.

13 Likes

Do you plan to record this journey? It would be a hell of a video to watch…

2 Likes

Sounds awesome! I hope you keep us up to date. If the schedule works out, I might come and say hi with a motorcycle.