The life after cancer thread

Fucking fantastic!! :metal:t3: That’s really great to hear. Some much needed good news in this messed up world. Now I’m no doctor or engineer, but keep riding that Flux cancer build with your family because it seems to be a highly effective secondary treatment. :wink: :facepunch:t3:

8 Likes

Amazing! Best wishes to you and your family. Hopefully this means many years of enjoying them and your fantastic board!

3 Likes

This is so amazing to hear! I’m overjoyed for you and wish for you and your family continued healing and confidence in whatever choice you make. :heart:

3 Likes

Great news man- couldn’t have hoped for better.

2 Likes

@monsterbuilder : Healing mojos and positive vibes, sir.
A question, please. I’m putting together a board using Matrix 2 trucks. Could you tell me how you were able to fit the TB 110 street wheels on its 12mm axle? Which bearing size did you use, please?
Thanks.

Hey man… I actually never put any bearings on the trucks for the thane wheels. I just dry fitted them. Here are the bearings that most people have been experimenting with:
https://forum.esk8.news/t/finally-they-re-here-22x12x7-bearings/41514

man, this whole tread is an inspiration.You seem like an awesome guy/father. I hope everything is going well for you. Very awesome build. Im on the fence right now between DIY and onsra carve 2.

9 Likes

I forgot to show you guys the chunk of liver that they removed during my surgery 4 weeks ago. I gave birth to this through a large incision that goes around my belly button. Not for the faint of heart!

Thanks for the prayers and support mah man. I’ve been so blessed by this community. Hoping you can make it to Carve PDX. Would be really cool to meet you.

Thanks dude. It is a pretty amazing report.

I cannot think of another reason He kept me around, other than to use me in some way…

Haha thanks. It’s been almost 4 weeks since my surgery. I’m technically not supposed to lift more than 10lbs until 6 weeks after surgery. I did however convince my wife to let me go for a ride this afternoon, so the Flux is on the charger!

Thanks dude. I appreciate the wishes.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate hearing that.

Seriously, it’s the very best news that I could receive!

Dude! First of all, welcome to the forum. Just a heads up, this forum is addicting. Thanks for the kind words. I may be a bit biased, but definitely go for the DIY route. Don’t hesitate to hit me up if you have any questions.

21 Likes

LoL maybe you should bracket that picture for folks who are eating

Hope to see you at carve pdx. All the good jujus

6 Likes

What kind of speed/range do you get out of this build ?

Hey dude. Top speed is around 30-33mph. I haven’t done a full range test yet. However, I’m pretty consistently able to get about 14 miles on half a charge. I doubt that a full range test (utilizing the whole battery capacity) would result in double that. It’s probably safe to assume that I could get about 25 miles of range on a full charge.

2 Likes

@Cinch

While @monsterbuilder and I use different battery configurations (12s8p 30q vs 12s6p P42A), the Ah is the same at 24Ah. I get 25 miles of hard riding and about 40miles when I’m cruising with the family and not flooring it all the time.

2 Likes

Damn these builds make me want to cancel my onsra black carve 2 order and go DIY. What kind of money did you guys spend on these builds ?

2 Likes

DIY is so much more fun. Just find someone on the forum that you can bounce questions off of regularly. It can get pretty expensive if you dont buy the right parts the first time.

Budget totally depends on what you can find on sale and if you end up building the battery yourself. I have about $2k into this build.

my budget was about 2200, i dont think im confident enough to build a battery tho

1 Like

Yeah, that’s definitely the most intimidating part of a build. You can get a battery for less if you have someone spot weld your P groups (like I did). Are you handy with a soldering iron?

Otherwise, there are plenty of excellent battery builders on this forum.

2 Likes

Thats me :slight_smile:

Awesome Flux Build!

I was wondering if you could help me with running the phase wires through the enclosure. I had to drill out the holes for the 5.5mm bullet connectors and now the included wire grommets won’t stay in the enlarged holes. I was stumped as I can’t for the life of me find the same kind of rubber grommets that were included but a bit larger. Then I came across your thread. Could you please share more details/ pictures on how you ran the wires through the bottom gasket?

2 Likes

Hey man! Yeah, don’t worry about over sizing those holes. They aren’t useful anyway. I covered mine with electrical tape, then filled the backside of the holes with hot glue.

I can’t take any credit for how I routed the phase wires. @rafaelinmissouri’s technique was my inspiration. We both needed to use a thick gasket that doesn’t easily crush (unlike the one provided), so we cut a gap in the enclosure gasket and simply ran it through the gap. Make sure to insulate your phase wires at the transition.

Here are some pictures from when I was still on belts:
999e5462ea7738eca20beccfb7080690659c2ee5_2_690x335
eeccfff6dc048328eecde103903ffbf6d6aa4ded_2_690x335
0bf4380897d934d881c507362e39face2576e54a_2_243x500

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Joshua

2 Likes

Wtf… bud i had no idea you were going through this. Im so sorry.

1 Like

Yeah man, it’s completely nuts. This wasn’t on my radar. No family history of cancer and the only symptoms I had was occasional digestive sensitivities. My primary doctor didn’t think it was anything serious and spent 6 months working on food allergy tests and dietary changes.

My food sensitivity continued to get worse, so he recommended a colonoscopy. About a week later we discovered I had stage 4 cancer. My oncologist told me that it was extremely aggressive and that there was no cure. Any treatments available would prolong whatever life I had left.

We decided to get really aggressive on my treatments. I was on 3 different chemotherapies at once and doing some holistic and extreme dietary changes on the side. After doing that for 4 months, they decided to pursue surgery and long term radiation. Radiation was by far the hardest part.

Here I am a year and half later with no evidence of cancer. They won’t officially say that I’m cancer free until I’ve had 3 years of clean scans. In a weird way, I’m thankful for this experience. It has made me stronger and given me a new perspective on life.

Miss seeing you around man! I’m in Albany now BTW, so not too far from you. You going to have something to ride for CarvePDX this year?

17 Likes