The Flux | 12s6p | MBS | Xenith | Dual 6374 | 8”

I found that was representing the hall sensor connection. I couldn’t get the hall sensor to recognize on motor 2 so I just removed the hall sensors all together so now they look like just 1 line of 3 dots. Is this incorrect?

1 Like

Can I do this thru the unity app?

2 Likes

No, you are connecting the Unity to a PC running the VESC tool. It will upload a completely different firmware to the unity. This is a little advanced though, and I would wait and just ride your board. If the cogging becomes a big problem, someone here that is more familiar with VESC FW on Unity can help.

2 Likes

Yes there should be like 5 or 6 groups of 3 dots around the circle. I program through the unity UI

If you have any questions on the setup lemme know

1 Like

I could only get 1 hall sensor to read so I went sensorless

1 Like

And it’s still doing the same thing?

1 Like

It’s doing that via sensorless , yes. I don’t have an updated SS of the unity UI right now but it’s only 1 3 Dot line on each motor right now. I think the cogging is definitely the best description of it. It only happens when I’m easing on the throttle. If I get off to a hot start it doesn’t happen. It’s not really a deal breaker just kind of annoying.

Board is complete! Can’t wait to take it out tomorrow!

12 Likes

Damn that looks so good! Moar pics please.

Taking it for a Christmas ride tomorrow?

2 Likes

I uploaded pictures to the main body of the thread if you’re interested to see. You’ll see what I did with the phase wires, and my attempt to fix the pre drilled holes after I butchered them.

Yup, my son will be unwrapping his DIY board I made him, and we will go out for a spin after it warms up a tad!

2 Likes

Just did the maiden voyage after some super noob mistakes which delayed the first real ride till today! (Shame me!)

1. The belt was walking into the wheel since alignment was off. I couldn’t get the alignment correct no matter what. - Changed Motors (Yay Sensors), Motor Pulley (Double Flange), Wheel Pulley (Single Flange). All good now!

2. I didn’t loctite the matrix 2s grubs screws on a test run and had a motor mount come loose during riding. The belt came off and it was super scary having one motor to stop with. Loctite everything, lesson learned.

In With the New

1. Flipsky 6374 8mm Bore Double Flange Pulley
  2. 72T ATC Pulley /w Flange
  3. Yellow Shock Blocks
  4. Hoyt Puck (@BenjaminF Recommendation)
  5. Davega parts incoming courtesy of @janpom. (Thank you!)

Question: What would cause the power to cutout under extreme load.

From a dead stop on grass, slam throttle, board will start to go then throws me off. Start slow in grass and it’s fine. Not a huge deal, but I am curious. Is this because of some hard limit I set within the Unity? Maxing the motor amps for to long? Battery amps not set to enough?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hmm thats concerning. Can you check for VESC faults when this happens? Sounds like it could be an Overcurrent fault, which would be weird. What are your battery and motor amp settings at?

2 Likes

I believe the Stormcore app will show these and I’ll give it a try today. How else can I check for the faults?

Running 75A for the motors and 120A for the Battery. -50 and -60 respectively.

That might be too high for the stormcore, I dont know.

You said this happens when you peg the throttle from a dead stop in the grass? What about rolling slowly onto the throttle? Or pegging the throttle on flat pavement? Does it ever happen then?

In the VESC Tool app or computer program, you can go to the “terminal” tab and type in the word “faults” (without the " "). It will tell you all the faults that have been reported since startup. So you have to read the faults while the board is still on since it happened.

3 Likes

Ok, it’s a unity but same premise I’m sure. I’ll take it down to 100A and see if anything changes and keep going down 5 or 10A to test.

Yup, only when I peg the throttle. Can ease the throttle through grass and get up to speed no problem. I know it’s not realistic to peg the throttle, just thought it was peculiar.

Honestly, haven’t tried. I’m a little scared to do so as there is no grass to biff it on. But I did 23 miles today on pavement, dirt/sand and had not one issue. Got up to 35mph before I got sketched out. Board had plenty more to give.

Definitely sounds like overcurrent to me then. See if you can re-create it and confirm that its reporting that fault.

1 Like

Was able to get out today with decent weather to re-create it. On grass, peg throttle, and the board starts to roll then gets chocked up. Checked for faults in the terminal and nothing registered since startup.

I’ve lowered motor settings to 60/-60 and ensured that the battery was set modestly for the unity and have it at 50/-25 for each motor.

I thought maybe the absolute maximum current was set low, but just confirmed its set at 400A on each side. That was by default anyways.

Any other ideas?

2 Likes

Only thing I can think of would be bad sensors. If the ESC doesn’t know the stator position, then it could cog out like that.

We are hurtling towards the edge of my knowledge here, lets see if we can recruit some help.

3 Likes

yo dawg - your running a smart BMS too right? I had an issue on a mountain board I build last year where the BMS setting was defaulted to cutting power above 60A so if you are running a smart BMS you might wana check that too after you confirm the Duty Cycle stuff

1 Like