THE CYBOARD | Stainless Steel Unibody | Ubox | Modular 16s6p TM3 | BN-AT|

How’s progress man? This is a cool build, I’m excited to see where you take it

Progress is none. I have a project for a client that is late and I paused work on the Cyboard until it’s out of my shop. The next steps required are designing and printing the system that will hold the lid down firmly. I have some ideas but I need to put them down in CAD before I commit to anything. Motivation has also been at an all time low due to corona blues

To NYC and DC mostly lol

4 Likes

It’s out of my shop

Time to continue work.

First, let’s get rid of the heat marks from welding

before

after

Next, the lid attachment system that has been giving me so much stress. I finally decided on something with zero moving parts or exposed fasteners. To do this I glued a huge sheet of 1/8in thich neoprene foam to the underside of the lid. This stops all rattling sounds from steel-on-steel contact.

To hold this lid down using magnets is a bit of a challenge due to the fact that stainless steel isnt magnetic. I solved this by ordering some regualr steel lasercut from sendcutsend.com. I cut sections out from the foam and JB welded it together.

Cutting and gluing and cutting and gluing and cutting and gluing. What a PITA but its well worth it. The lid passes the dairy queen flip test now.

It takes a lot of force to get this lid off, neodymium magnets are no joke. Remind me to take photos of how I JB welded them to the internal walls/frame of the board.

The friction + the steel frame digging into the foam means the lid will not be sliding around at all. I may add some foam to the steel on the inside of the chasis. We’ll see.

The chasis with the lid on is like 3x stiffer than without. I cannot twist the body anymore, something that concerned me a lot before.

The next step is lighting. The BN drivetrain is delayed for the moment but should be here within a month I’m hoping as thats the last part I need to finish this.

Video of me taking the lid off

How the fuck do I grip this deck??

27 Likes

may i ask wht wheels those are?
lovely design btw.

2 Likes

Qind 200x75mm

1 Like

The easy way would be the hex grip pads, but i vote for this:

It may be a pain in the ass with as far as you’ve come already, but in keeping with the metal cyborg murder machine theme, it lends itself really well to threaded studs

Question for you -
Are there any physical locating features for the lid? As in, does the lid just sit on top on your magnet tabs, or it is recessed beneath the lip of the chassis when installed?

I ask bc i wonder what happens when you take a super aggressive turn and those g forces are trying to rip your lid sideways

5 Likes

What made you go stainless vs a stronger alloy steel?

The corrosion resistance?

2 Likes

I love this board.
it looks so cool on the move.

I was stoked to watchthis.

16 Likes

i love how you can just see me and my board in the back of the b-roll shots lol

8 Likes

Love this build. Very inspiring

3 Likes

26 Likes

I still don’t see any grip!! Do you just wear non-slip shoes? On metal deck, my nonslips are enough grip 95% of the time, and I’m thinking foam grip is the way. Metal decks transfer vibrations to your feet very well, and I’d like to counteract that.

1 Like

Consider this a like a concept board that runs and all. When I’m not just taking photos I apply some clear grip.

One day I will think of a much better solution and I’m open to ideas.

3 Likes

Stippling! A huge pain to apply for such a large area but you’ll keep the pure steel aesthetic.

Or maybe some sort of steel mesh welded on top, that might be cool.

1 Like

Frit?

Epoxy doesn’t stick to stainless :confused:

2 Likes

Makes sense, I suppose it’s in the name

What about spar urethane? It worked on aluminum…
Alternatively you could go the route I saw this one guy do. Velcro over the entire lid > Velcro sheets of grip tape that you stick on. Would kill the cool metal look, but you could pick your grip out a drawer to match your outfit xD

You could also try a sheet of sorbothane over the top, reduces vibrations extremely well. Mostly used in music equipment but I think it has potential as a vibration dampening grip.

Oh and permabond makes an epoxy that’s specifically for stainless steel. Don’t think anyone’s used it for frit, ever, so definitely do some testing first, but I think that thing is in fact frittable :thinking:
I bet if you used steel frit it’d look pretty freakin cool.

2 Likes

I would drill some holes on the foot stand area and screw in some spikes. This would support the cool all metal look instead of destroying it.

1 Like

Terrible idea but probably the coolest… Electromagnets.

Get some magnetic stuff in your shoes and get some powerful electro magnets.

It is a bad idea in all aspects, but cool factor 100

4 Likes