THE CYBOARD | Stainless Steel Unibody | Ubox | Modular 16s6p TM3 | BN-AT|

This is what I want to do. Gonna be hard, been thinking about it for a while since you suggested

1 Like

Finally mounted the brackets and got a rolling chassis going. Next problem to solve is the god damn lid situation. Fuck. I really need help. Easiest plan so far is a rubber/foam layer on the underside of the lid and magnets sucking it down to the body. Please help me think guys.

Also,

I refuse to drill any more holes in this body/lid. I may order a new lid with build in tabs to align.

Pic dump:

Ultraboard confirmed

35 Likes

Looking good !
How are those bracket holding on ? have you tried jumping lightly on the board ?

Don’t really have an idea for the lid… I’m not a fan of the idea of magnet, doesn’t sound like a solid enough link between the lid and the board

1 Like

Man this is sick. I get excited at every update you post haha.

#BOTY2021

1 Like

Yes, it’s rock solid. Very happy.

I have some rare earth magnets. This wasnt my first choice but I dont know how else to do this precisely. Theres no way to get the alignment perfect. The deck was welded by hand so I can’t rely on the CAD model to be a 100% accurate depiction of the irl deck. I haven’t committed to magnets yet, but its the leading method in my head.

I appreciate that! I always wanted to be one of the big boi builders that people are excited to watch. Been looking up to you guys for a while now.

6 Likes

Looking good!
I would have turned the body 180° though, having the wide part in the rear would make it look even more badass IMO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

That would look cool too, I agree. My reasoning was;

#1 To look like the Cybertruck.

#2 This allowed me to place the batteries in the front for stability.

#3 It’s kinda like a teardrop shape, which is the “optimal aerodynamic shape for any given volume”

4 Likes

Some good points!

1 Like

The build is starting to come together man, looks very cool!

The teardrop shape wouldnt come to my mind, it did look like a vampire coffin the first time i saw it :rofl:

But with the trucks and wheels like this it actually looks friggin cool, you gonna put a led stripe in the slit?

5 Likes

If im going to keep building these death traps, I may as well make myself a coffin while im at it.

Hell yes. I already did a mockup of the lights, scroll up and take a look.

3 Likes

Oooh i missed that, the leds look cool af in there!

2 Likes

On lid attachment - look into cabinetry latches?

image image image

Also if you do go with magnets, use magnetic snaps to align and stronger magnets to hold

Board is dope :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Depends on how much room you can sacrifice inside.

Consider auto latching mechanisms like flush hood latches:

Simple enclosure latches:

Twist lock fasteners:

Holley Quarter turn fasteners:

Mount some detent pins (double duty with alignment):

Probably easiest would be to use flush-mount captive fasteners / panel screws.

3 Likes

Cabinetry latches would probably pop loose every time you hop on your board / shift weight too much.

1 Like

(Sorry can’t edit posts yet)

Easiest, no-thought approach would be to 3D print some wedges that match the angle of your enclosure side walls. Make em beefy and epoxy them in. And then use normal enclosure mounting techniques - sink some threaded inserts into the 3D printed part and screw through the lid.

3 Likes

No matter how you go about it, you need a mating face / mounting pt inside the enclosure.

Well… unless you used a hinge. You could piano hinge really any seam of that lid. Then you’d only need a way to “keep the door closed”. Could be elastic bands between two posts, a really simple latch, any of the fasteners above. A hinge would be fun.

I guess it’s not going to be watertight with those front/rear slits? If you were going to waterproof it with a large overlapping lip and gasket, that would be the place for your fastening method.

2 Likes

(Again, sorry for all the posts. This is a fun little problem)

If you’re going for the metalocalypse cybertruck coffin theme, a hinged lid would really be killer. May as well, you’ve overengineered it this far.

Ive been thinking about this a lot. I think im going to do this

But with bent pieces of stainless spot welded on the inside. They will support a plastic lip that runs around the entire deck to create a seal. The lid will be sucked down to the deck with a ring of rare earth magents.

I wanted the hinge to work but you guys already explained why it wouldnt.

Edit: also heres how much room i have inside:

6 Likes

Oh yeah, if you’ve got a lip, magnets will work nicely. Just run some tests first on magnet strength and make sure you have some way to open it.

1 Like

Here what the bracket will look like. Some will be holding on to the lip. Others will be holding onto a rare earth magnet. Should be solid.

EDIT:

The above is a bad idea. Bending would be a pain in the ass. I am going to go the 3D printed route. I made this to hold a magnet. The lid will have carbon steel tabs glued on since stainless isnt magnetic.

7 Likes