The Bladerunner | LY Switchblade 40" | 12S4P Samsung 30T | eBoosted enclosure | Bergmeister wheels | Maytech 6374 | Custom motor mounts

What do you get from belts, that lacked in gear drives @eBoosted ?

money in bank account :wink:

2 Likes

It’s visible in the last picture he shared – just a small metal plate that screws into the old holes, and secures back of the baseplates.

1 Like

Ahh i see it now thanks!

Here are some benefits from having this setup for a week now:

1.Belts are virtually virtually silent compared with straight gear drives
2. You have less drag than gear drives hence better coasting
3. Less energy used than any of the gears drives I tested, so more range
4. No need to use hard-to-get grease
5. Gear drives are usually closer to the wheels so you are usually forced to install them inwards on drop through decks like the Switchblade, this means bad clearance, motors will hit rocks, speed bumps, cateye reflective pavement lights
6. Reverse motor mounting will keep the motors safer and will look like new even after thousand of miles
7. If you run an idler you can run the vents loose for even more drivetrain efficiency
8. Veey easy and cheap to swap motor pullies to match different tire sizes

2 Likes

Here you go:
20191021_234151

I could take more pictures tomorrow if you want but as you can see there is a plate that holds the inner baseplate bolts on both front and rear trucks.

5 Likes

This is the opposite of what I experience. I wonder why? What gear drive systems have you used? Did you experiment with the gear mesh? I ask because from my own experience with a few different systems I can’t see how drag would be more or WH efficiency could be less with gear drives over belts.

1 Like

Thank you!
More would be helpful!

I was just going to comment the same

2 Likes

I can only speak of my experience, my gear drives have a lot of noise and some drag, acceleration was also weaker even at the same reduction ratio, so current had to be increased to try to keep up. I’ve been using straight gears, maybe helicals would be different, but unfortunately I had much better results with belts

Beautiful. How does it compare to the Bintang?

I see you went all the way through with the threaded inserts. Is this deck on a bit too thin?

Those coin head screws, for the trucks and enclosure… Can someone link me up?

And those mounts, did you make extras? :slight_smile: The crossbars make it killer.

1 Like

The Bintang is a much simpler deck, if you are in a budget it might be a good choice as it will be cheaper, the Bintang does not have the build quality of this Landyachtz, you can see this when installing the inserts, how the wood strips, the switchblade is not expensive either and has a better riding position, you can lock you foot in the microdrop and the concave is more pronounced where your feet are.

Yes the threads I use are the best ones I’ve found, stainless steel so no rust and they won’t strip. Even though they thread all the way, they look good and the finish is great

These are countersunk screws, they work pretty good with the fender washers the advantage of these fender washers is the ability to keep the screw in place and keep them from backing out due vibrations

I didn’t but I could make more if there is enough interest.

I’m buying a anodyzing lab, I’ll show you my results soon :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response!

Ah in these photos I couldn’t tell – optical illusion. They look like flat coin shaped heads there. :slight_smile: I’m scared to use countersunk/buttonhead stainless steel hex screws for fear of stripping. The socketheads have a bigger hex recess, but yeah protrude a lot more.

I’m linking to your enclosure mounting article in case anyone hasn’t seen it.

https://www.eboardsperu.com/support/

2 Likes

Here you can see exactly how I used the plates to move the trucks outwards clearing pneumatics on the Switchblade

I used these fender washers and they were great for both looks and funcionality:

6 Likes

Did you shape those plates yourself?
What material are they?

Yes. They were made out aluminum and cut and detailed by hand

1 Like

Yet another beautiful build @eBoosted Hats off

But ur Unity with 30T 140A combo sounds promising.
What kind of range u expect? 15 miles riding hard~ish?
U gonna run 18-60 gearing? What length belt are u using?

1 Like

Amazing, just as all your work @eBoosted . Not to be that guy, but why are your Idler pulleys upsidedown? LOL, I mean to ask, why do you have them on the drive side vs the brake side?

Thanks @PatRocks, to be honest I didn’t know there was a brake and drive side for idler pullies. I mounted it underneath in order to have a bit more clearance, but the decision was mainly aesthetical, no idler pullies on top makes the drive train look cleaner. The good thing is I haven’t experienced any belt skipping even with the belts loose at really hard braking.

1 Like

The board range would be 35kms according to my calculations, I haven’t run such long distances yet though.

Gearing is 18/60 it’s perfect to get 55-57km/hr and the acceleration is nuts, you really need to try such a high discharge to understand the acceleration and smoothness. Hard to describe.

My belts are 425mm, perfect for this combo, I used bbman calculator