The best of the best Chargers!

That’s actually interesting I’m not sure if I knew that and forgot it.

1 Like

Is this the case even with smartBMS or DieBieMS used?

I remember while looking at real-time data at diebie that once the set charge voltage he’s reached it switches to balancing cells

Iam using the 103v version since 2 years (because I need 67.2v for e-scooters)
Very happy with it :blush:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I fully understand what you’re asking but…

The BMS can start and stop the flow of the charging current from whatever is being used (charger, power supply, etc.) but it won’t affect how the power supply or charger operates.

No matter what the BMS does the charger will still try to reach its set voltage. Whether that can happen or not, and how fast it happens, can be affected by the BMS but only because the BMS turns the current off/on and tries to balance the cells based on the BMS’ settings.

2 Likes

Not to insult you brothers

but he seems to have a misunderstanding or outside his experts of the requirements of battery’s or spec

But
1st yes it’s a LED Driver
2nd Li-ion should not be held at a float voltage. It’s Uber bad for them.
3rd as mosh said it also has a constant voltage stage (a lot of led drivers do)

the only difference from a “charger” is balance charging. We mainly use BMS that do this all ready so no need to double up on this.

Thay work very well for bulk charging at a high quality and minimal ripple supply. Thay are not a all in one charging solution to charge any battery.

As a DIY forum we look for DIY solutions to improve what’s commercially available. When we fined a item designed for driving LEDs having a better quality output and meets the requirements. Why wouldn’t you

1 Like

Is there a reason you favor 10s over 12s for li-ion?

It seems like most people are moving toward 12s - and I’m curious if there is a reason to consider 10s for my next build.

Chargers also stop at a certain point (typically 1/10th the bulk charge rate) whereas these LED power supplies will continue to charge indefinitely.

1 Like

Not in the ones I have used. Yes it’s needed but iv struggled to fined ones that had a cut off and now rely on bms to do that

1 Like

I have never seen a li-ion charger that does not stop when it reaches its termination current setting point. Do you mean you have not used a charger that lets you change that current setting?

The termination current specs in the 30Q datasheet you show are merely to describe what settings they used for their standard and rated charge levels. We certainly don’t need to use the same values.

Using a lower value won’t add much capacity to the cell and can even, very slightly, speed up aging of the cell. But increasing the taper current setting, perhaps to a 300mA or even 400mA, will shorten the charging time and even help a tiny bit to extend overall cell life.

Raising the termination current setting will result in slightly less capacity being available though as you are ending the charge a bit earlier. There’s always a tradeoff. :grin:

1 Like

This is discussed at length in here

1 Like

Some folks call this the difference between float chargers and trickle chargers

1 Like

I mailed you one. Check it out :metal:

It will charge until you unplug it. No matter what.

2 Likes

Making it a power supply IMO, not a charger…in spite of whatever the sticker says.:grin:

I am catching up on things and hope to check it out soon.

3 Likes

Yes I agree but the alien power system “chargers” do not terminate same with the chines ones from Ali express. I gave up after the 3rd.

I bet very few people have checked

2 Likes

:arrow_up: this

I agree.
As we’ve seen, having “charger” on the label does not make it one. :grin:

Well, it doesn’t make it one as far as I am concerned. A standard CC/CV power supply can be used to charge but if there is no charge management (stopping the charge, etc.) then it is not a charger IMO. It’s just a misrepresented product.

I’d simply call it a trickle charger…

…as opposed to a float charger.

They suck though, you want float chargers.

2 Likes

But that just perpetuates the, in my opinion, false notion that it’s a legitimate type of charger. Users feel there’s no need to be concerned because it says “charger” on the label. But it’s speeding up the aging of their cells every time it’s used.

There’s a tiny case to be made for the use of “float charger” for li-ion cells but that should only be mentioned alongside an explanation of how it differs from a lead-acid float charger. IMO it’s also a terrible term to use, confusing as hell for so many since lead-acid float charging is completely different from li-ion pseudo-“float charging”.

We’ve had this discussion before though. :grin: No good solution as those terms are used by many and no one ever wants to take the time to explain the differences and issues.

rant over…nothing to see…move along…move along…

1 Like

Hmmm so I have one 10s charger that charges my board to like 41V, never full. I always assumed some idiot set the potentiometer wrong. Perhaps this is a “float charger” instead?

The rest of my chargers charge to full, turn green, and keep it topped off. What is the mooch word for this kind of not-charger? I try to unplug them as soon as they are finished charging because I thought it made sense.

3 Likes

The voltage it is set to would be independent of whether it turns off or not when the pack is charged IMO.

Normally I would say “power supply”.
But if it signals that the pack is fully charged that is different from a conventional power supply that does not do some kind of monitoring.

When you say it keeps it topped off do you mean it never allows the pack to drop even a little in voltage? Or could it be turning off when the pack is charged and then turning back on to top off the pack whenever it drops a little in voltage (normal for a pack to do this eventually).