The battery builders club

Please rate my welds. Melctrics, 25ms, 0.2mm nickel. The pull test left 4 small holes in the nickel and pieces of nickel on the cell.

Thank you!

1 Like

Welds looks solid, what settings are you at?

25ms. It says 14W.

Edit:
14W means 14 welds lol. I though it was watts or something.

Anyways thanks for vote of confidence!

1 Like

rate my balance leads
no crossovers
fish paper when they needed to cross
checked all voltages at the end of the lead and all good

:thinking: :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

sorry

no crossovers of just wire with its insulation
when they needed to cross i placed fishpaper in between

Get that fhucking greasy arse electrical tape off of them & it’s good :kissing_heart:

Seriously, anything other than electric tape… even gorilla tape would be fine. Electrical tends to peel off easily & leaves behind disgusting uncleanable residue

1 Like

These solder joints look like they’re just sitting on top of the nickel and didn’t adhere properly.
Try reworking them by adding flux. Also, move it to the left a bit so the current gets distributed a bit better between the p-group.

1 Like

Deep fried.

On the soldering bit…they’re likely fine. The kind of heat it likely took to make those blobs most likely also had them wet the surface decently.

Moving them over may distribute current more evenly, but it looks like a folded over piece, at which point the current handling is probably fine. And reheating everything to move it all over could be going into the area of diminishing returns.

Just my thoughts.

3 Likes

prob should have added extra solder when i did
they are definetley adhered to the surface properly

someone knicked my gorilla tape
electrical and kapton is all i have left and kapton doesnt stick

Odd that kapton tape wouldn’t stick… It should stick to almost everything. I use it to tape silicone wire to a skewer to thread it through assemblies and it holds well… So that’s odd.

Electrical tape’s main issue is the adhesive. It’s not strong. The vinyl itself is good. Insulates well and is elastic enough to soften sharp edges and textures.

But electrical tape is designed as a mass use, cheap insulator for non moving wiring inside of walls. It’s used in large quantities and so part of its ethos is low expense. That tends on be on the adhesive.

3M makes a vinyl tape that’s quite nice. I use it in some packs to smoothly cover an end before shrink wrapping. But the adhesive is more robust and doesn’t slide or get goupy.

I’d also recommend avoiding electrical tape for securing those down. If you’re heat shrinking the whole pack, it may add additional securement to those wires. But, that would only really be if the shrink went down on top of them and actually was able to contact the electrical tape to apply pressure and keep it from moving. That, would then depend on how flat a top surface the pack has.

3 Likes

ok sure
will buy some gorilla tape and use it to stick them down
i will be heat shrinking soon but first need to confirm that its all ok

i bought my kapton from fogstar and i have always found that its adhesive is never strong enough

1 Like

Kapton adhesive isn’t amazing.

My preferred method is a double stick as simple as scotch brand underneath the wires, & then a few pieces of something decent on top or hot glue/silicone like some other builders use.

Just gorilla will be fine tho. The electrical will also probably be fine as it is… just in the future use something better is my recommendation. If you ever have to take it off you’ll see why it’s not the best choice.

3 Likes

i will add some hot glue then
that seems like a good idea

Are you sure that the end of the balance leads is long enough to get the BMS into a nice position? Looks pretty short. Otherwise it looks like a decent job to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah just long enough

1 Like

need a 14s bms slightly smaller then a daly
sadly it doesnt fit in the enclosure (by about 5mm)

if anyone has a recommendation please lmk

edit: would it be hazardous to remove the daly from its case?
i would protect it with fishpaper and heatshrink

1 Like

Just balance with an external charger and don’t put a BMS into your build. More room for other stuff.

2 Likes

which li-ion charger also acts as a bms?