The battery builders club

are you sure its still charging? what are the p-group voltages?

Maybe you did fry those 3 cell packs

Heard quite a few stories of it fraying and breaking.

I love braid. But not for connections like that.

One of these packs will have some braid connections

1 Like

I replaced the 3rd to last and the other 2 still test properly

Charging light is on at the charger. P-groups are between 3.7v and 4.2v

Its not charging because you have groups at 4.2.

Its either trying to balance, or probably just doing nothing.

When you assemble a pack, all the voltages of each individual group should be as close as possible

3 Likes

Really? Hmm will take it under advisement but I don’t see why a braided connection done properly would wear anymore than a silicone wire. Being done properly is probably the real kicker here though.

Search here and builders. You’ll find photos that back up my fears.

1 Like

I have set up that test rig to run continuously so I will put it to the test tomorrow.

Why wouldn’t it just not charge the group’s at 4.2 and only deliver power to the lower packs? isn’t that the point of a BMS?

No. It doesn’t work like that.

Your charger is outputting the voltage equal to the voltage of all series summed.

What BMS does is to try to balance p groups by slowly draining voltage from some of the groups. So it i balansing by draining not charging.

4 Likes

Nope, most don’t work like that

2 Likes

Not really how it works

So do I just hook up the low packs to a charger and bring them all up to 4.2v individually?

That test rig isn’t testing what i believe to be the true causeof connections like that breaking.

Lemme make you a video

2 Likes

You can and then discharge the pack and then recharge the pack and watch how it charges

Ohhhh I love videos.

1 Like

Do I have to ride the board or can I use another way to discharge the pack? I believe I saw a “discharge” button in metr or VESCTool somewhere

You can discharge it however you want… but doing a real world discharge will also let you know of other problems with the pack. If there are any.

Far too wet and rainy here for riding. I’ guess I’ll discharge the indoors way. I need to invest in a treadmill.