The battery builders club

I use 13s Daly for all my 12s battery builds

1 Like

So this is new for me: Nickel that behaves like steel

recently ordered nickel from nkon.nl
I’ve always had good experiences in the past with them.

I wanted to cut the Nickel and it felt weird. It springs back into place when bending like nickel plated steel…

This video shows that. Left: Nickel from nkon, right: Confirmed pure nickel from steel city Aliexpress shop.

Below a saltwater test (3 days in there now) of genuine nickel from steelcity and the weird nkon nickel.
I made cuts, heavily scratched it with a scalpel and sanded it with a dremel (at one place even sanded completely through). No rust whatsoever. I would have sworn it will rust…
Also no sparks when sanding whith a dremel.

maybe this nkon nickel was manufactured a bit differently? Just behaves a bit strange

4 Likes

If you try to weld it, does it weld really hot? Its not uncommon for some nickel strips to be harder/springier etc.
Maybe double check thickness

2 Likes

haven’t welded it yet. I’ll try after work.

about thickness: Nkon delivered the wrong thickness. It’s 0,15mm thick

If the nickel wasn’t annealed after rolling (to save $$$ or some customers might want to do that themselves) then it would be harder and that might be causing that springiness.

7 Likes

The relative springy-ness of nickel (or any metal, for that matter) is all about how the metal was worked and shaped, and whether it was annealed or not. I’ll explain.

When a block or bar of metal is worked and shaped into thin foil for us to use for spot welding, all that shaping induces stresses in the metal. This is known as “work hardening.” It happens at the molecular level, and it makes the metal much stiffer (and, in the case of sheet metal, more springy).

This stiffening can be removed from the metal through a process called “annealing” where the metal is heated in a furnace to a temperature just below it’s melting point, and held there for a while. This allows the molecular structure of the metal to “relax” and release those stresses which were induced in the shaping process.

After annealing, the metal will be all soft and formable again. If the manufacturer who made that nickel did not anneal it, then that’s why it’s springy.

And no, it’s nothing to worry about :grin:

(unless what you have there is stainless steel, in which case you’re borked)

13 Likes

You’re right, we DEFINITELY need to stop meeting like this :joy:

4 Likes

Incredible…I was the one with the shorter post? :joy:

9 Likes

I know, shocking! :joy:

I have seen this particular question about springy nickel enough times that I felt it was worth a thorough explanation, for any folks reading in the future who dont understand work hardening and annealing :grin:

9 Likes

I have the same nickel from nkon, its genuine, its just work hardened. No need to worry.



9 Likes

First time I have been able to build in an enclosure and It is much preferred…

2 Likes

Only way to do it

4 Likes

Nice to see a 10s when everyone seems to be going 12s as minimum. Nice work!

2 Likes

I have a few question regarding a shopping list for Building a 21700 12s9p for flux motion deck. Similar to this battery. image

Would a 250mm shrink wrap be appropriate? (I figured with 2p*12 cells wide and high * 21mm wide cell)

I’m gonna say no. I use 250mm for a single stack 12s4p 21700 battery. You might be able to stuff that into 250mm, but you want to leave room for the shrink wrap to, you know, shrink. Otherwise you are going to shed a whole bunch of shrink wrap and get super frustrated that its not coming out clean. For a battery of that size you want something bigger, like 280mm or 300mm.

Ask @Skyart what he uses, cus he builds that layout more often than I do.

1 Like

I think I use 300mm on that pack

2 Likes

I was replacing a starter the other day and noticed how they attached the high current lead to this copper strip.

Doesn’t look soldered, is this sonic welded or something? Looks like it would be a good way to attach 10/12awg wires to the nickel series strips

1 Like

maybe cold welded? with a hydraulic press or something would be my guess.

It does look like ultrasonic welding. I haven’t seen it with a braided wire before. Looks cool.

3 Likes