The battery builders club

Supposedly the Adafruit one is +/- 1%.

1 Like

How many thermisters can be read. I would like to do at least one per p-pack

The BMS linked above has two thermistor ports.

I had the pleasure of seeing this in person on that Prototipo I did the rebuild. Pretty cool to see.

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

:tada::sunglasses::fire:

3 Likes

@Battery_Mooch
Just did a test from a full charge. Here are the results. The first couple of bursts, I was giving it everything it had.
I know it’s not a very long ride, but the temp probe says it got to 28c.

Looks like it was doing a lot better, perhaps 3.65V lowest?
So you can charge fully and go hard or charge to a lower voltage and go easy.

1 Like

Yah, it does seem to look better.

Is there any harm riding it hard when the battery is at a lower voltage, as long as the cells don’t go below 3v?

Not unless they’re overheating and/or you are above their continuous rating (which can age them faster).

1 Like

And I would even go so far as to say that it would be fine down to ~2.5v/cell under heavy load. That’s the datasheet minimum rating anyway.

Obviously the harder you are on it, the faster it will wear, just like any other physical object, but I wouldn’t expect it to self-destruct at that level.

1 Like

Before I finalise this is there anything I’ve missed?

The P groups have fish paper, the welded ends have kapton and anywhere the positive tab overlaps the negative can has kapton.

I’m in the process of adding kapton to the edges of the tabs just in case the adjacent ones somehow contact each other. The internal edges where the adjacent groups touch also has kapton, does that work? The balance wires are going on last on a raft of fish paper and not overlapping

1 Like

Follow-up: anyone know off hand how much an imbalance can or should be treated by just charging a pack with a BMS? Each cell in each P group was matched to within 0.05v before welding, but the different P groups vary by ~0.2V

1s charge boards. Charge each group to desired voltage. Pay close attention to groups after doing this. If they stay within .05v thereafter, I’d say you’re good.

1 Like

Great thanks, I think I have a few of those from 18650 power banks so they even have micro USB ports wired in already. Should definitely have thought of that myself but ah well

1 Like

20 Likes

What’s seperating your p-groups in the spaces as below? It looks like you’ve used kapton?!

Edit: Re-read your post. Kapton is a good insulator and holds up well to heat but for a spot like that where there will be a lof of friction I would put something more robust. Fish paper on top of the kapton is good. Some people print custom spacers. I fish paper and then secure w some double sided foam tape.

3 Likes

Ah shite, I just finished soldering them when I saw this. Thanks for the info though, the pack isn’t covered in heat shrink or super jammed together so there’s still quite a lot of flex, I’ll go through and add fish paper now

Progress image in case I’ve missed anything else

4 Likes

All of those points are at the same voltage potential so a short would do nothing but lower the resistance between the two p-groups, kapton is more than enough in those spaces unless I misunderstood what is at hand here. I would be more worried about a divider in between the two rows of p-groups (dollarama cutting board, fishpaper, abrasion resistant anything) since the nickel has some points that sticks out past the cells.

3 Likes

You dont need any kind of insulator in those places. As you will notice, those nickel tabs are already going to be shorted together with those large wires soldered on top of them :wink:

Jokes aside, @itsrow is right, those two nickel pieces have the same voltage potential, there’s no need to insulate between them. You only have to insulate between two spots with a different voltage potential.

@mr.shiteside if you’re ever in doubt, poke a multimeter around and see if you measure a voltage difference between two spots. If you do, then insulate.

This of course assumes that everything in the pack is well secured and wont move around. Anything that can move could potentially bridge two points with different voltage potentials, causing a short.

4 Likes

Yeah they’re at almost exactly the same potential, but if there’s high current flowing and you’re making and breaking a connection (even if there’s almost no voltage across it) it sparks

2 Likes

In my experience, two layers of Kapton is totally fine in those spots.

4 Likes