The battery builders club

I’m not sure it makes a difference if I test them, I can’t return the cells and I can pop them out of the holder again, might as well use them and see if they are good enough

Use the dime tubes as an alternative to hear shrink?

I do have a charger that measures Wh that go in, but I’d need to empty and charge the cell then get it to match voltage again, 1 cycle shouldn’t make a difference right?

2 Likes

It’s worth doing if you have the time and equipment. 1 cycle will make very little difference.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve even found a cycle or two to be beneficial to capacity and performance for salvaged cells, especially if they have been sitting idle for a while.

1 Like

Hi I’m hoping for some guidance.
Making 10s 5 p 30q battery, fishpaper wont arive for weeks wondering if anyone knows if self adhesive silicone repair tape will be suitable to insulate the battery. One like this

Thanks in advance for any advice

So I finished my 12s4p pack and plugged it into the board. Loop key was not in yet. All the cell level fuses blew on the first pack, and the 7th pack(the start pack to the 2nd column). Everything looks wired correctly and before plugging in registered the correct charge from the xt 90. I took it apart and all cells still measure the same? Any guesses as to what could have happened?

1 Like

Some pictures and a wiring diagram would be great.
A loopkey disconnect the power from the battery to the esc. So if something blew even without loopkey than there seem to be a big wiring mistake.

Were those two packs touching by any chance?

Is your bms or any metal objects on top of them?

Are they well insulated?

Sounds like a bad solder job or short circuit in whatever plug you went in to. I’m interested to see some pictures as well.

1 Like

Well insulated, and a spacer between the 2 sides . Each pack wrapped with fish paper, and the whole unit shrink wrapped to finish off. I didnt get any pictures before it happened. So pissed at myself for that, and I immediately dismantled the whole thing down to each pcb 4 pack afterwards. It is weird only because it tested fine before I plugged it in. I would think a wiring fuck up wouldnt test fine? I wish I had photos to help figure it out. Thanks for even thinking about it.

Did you make a wiring diagram as minimum? That would really help to find your issue. For now it’s just guessing. It could be practical everything.

I will draw up the diagram later for sure. This was what I plugged into which went to the 2 inputs on the stock trampa setup which uses 2 loops which then go to the loop key. The lipos and board tested fine after this happened.

So you come from a 12s2p lipo if I understood right? So you used only one of the xt90 plugs to your battery pack on this parallel split cable?

Usually the board uses 2 6s lipos, I made this splitter so the 12s4p battery could plug into the 2 plug ins. Here is a terrible drawing of the diagram

A normal loop key just disconnect one line, usually the positive wire. The trampa system disconnect the plus and minus one each „loopkey“ which is not really a loop it’s just a xt90s disconnect.
Did you think about this when you wired everything up?

Edit: you used a trampa top mount box before, just to get it right? Because that’s what I assumed. Really not so easy without pictures :sweat_smile:

I think using that splitter and going into trampas series connector was my mistake. 99%sure

1 Like

So this looks to be it? Stupid mistake.

Yup looks like a short occurred if this diagram is accurate. Going from parallel to a series dongle created a short in the circled area. Dodged a bullet

using the cell level fusing in this case.

1 Like

Like @KfromtheBay said, you did a direct short in the place he marked. Good that you had your cells level fused.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I hope my stupidity at least helps someone in the future not do the same. And at least my battery was good, and can be fixed.

5 Likes

@hummieee guess this answers some of your questions.

It is possible for all 4 fuses to break if a fault occurs. Cells didnt go into instant run away from a direct short. All cells seem to have survived without any significant damage. no fires. @Makio13 still has a place to live.

4 Likes