The battery builders club

can you send me the link to which you got? They are often way bigger than needed. I’d suggest an ANT BMS because they tend to be pretty thin.

4 Likes

What do you guys think of this. I will never use all 16 slots but damn I still want one.

1 Like

12s3p Molicel p42a for a OneWheel type thing. Most of the credit goes to @glyphiks for this one (thanks again!), first half of the build is probably a few thousand posts back, I’m just soldering the wires on trying not to screw up his good work :sweat_smile:.

Second battery ever and it seems a lot better, which no doubt owes a lot to this thread.

Bought a tube of black silicone, mainly to give the balance wires a flexible support off the top of the pack. Probably went a bit overboard with it elsewhere. Al was good enough to include a bunch of fish paper for the top so this will all be covered, just thought I’d post this before sealing it all up.

Interested in thoughts on the front of the pack (or anything else). This obviously needs to be covered up.

Plan is to overlap some bits of fish paper as follows.

This end of the pack faces the end of the board where the internal space ends in a bit of a wedge, so I’m not expecting any pressure to be applied to this area. Same reason why I didn’t cross wires on the top of the pack, there’s space to reorder the wires (BMS to top of pack order) in front of the pack.

Printed this little loom kind of thing to help to help out with that reordering process.

Please excuse the balance wire colours; ran out part way through. Of course, if I hadn’t been so conservative with the wire lengths when crimping everything I would have had more than enough. Clipped off enough excess length to wire another pack :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Hey that small loom is a cool idea, I’m going to copy that for my next pack build.

6 Likes

Super clean dude! Really nice work!

6 Likes

Can I use a 10s bms to charge a 9s pack?

LTT smart bms is reporting 2 p groups as dead when it’s set to 9s and either p1 or p10 are disconnected.

Groups manually measure at a safe voltage level

2 Likes

Did you re-program the BMS for 9s?

1 Like

okie dokie artichokie…

time to weld

4 Likes

It had an option to set it to 9s in the app, is that all there is to it?

1 Like

Yes, that’s all the re-programming it needs, as far as I know. Then you also have to short some of the BMS pins though, and I dont know what pins those would be for 9s.

Email james@lithiumbatterypcb.com and ask which pins need to be soldered together.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I once wanted to set 10s bms to 7s so I contacted them and they said it’s a no go with the unit I had on hand, so it doesn’t work with all bms’s.
Best thing @Venom121212 to do is email llt to confirm if it will work

1 Like

Yep, I was told this as well.

1 Like

That’s too bad, but at least you know :+1:

1 Like

@JoeyZ5 your 10s → 3s mod might be a no-go. Sounds like 10s is the lowest they want that BMS to go.

3 Likes

Are you sure that’s not a blanket statement to reduce liability?

1 Like

so i ordered some of these LR2170SF, do you happen to have a link to your review on them? would like to take a look. and also yes, they have a very defined circle on the bottom, how would you suggest i go about with welding to the negative side of these, just avoid the outline of the circle?

1 Like

Doesn’t look like they’re much better than 50E

1 Like

I think the main thing is that they’re more available right?

1 Like

The BAK cell that’s also 5,000mAh should still be available for a good price. I did an 8p build with them, they’re pretty good. Did about as well as the 50E and don’t have an odd positive pole and secondary vent.

2 Likes