The battery builders club

I don’t think we’ve made the same calculations…

1 Like

there are 2 after the 75 and the one after the 50

all cells have a strip connecting the 2 sides together

edit: misunderstood what you were showing (ignore the above)

I assume it’s .15 nickel strip?

I have to admit, I had forgotten you had almost 2 layers of nickel, so it’s not as bad as I initially thought, but your strongest link is only as strong as your weakest. That’s a serious bottleneck.

1 Like

.2 nickel

you think it should be ok at 125-150 amps?

When dealing with that much current, I’d better be safe than sorry and have optimal current flow.

1 Like

any suggestion that you have which doesnt involve taking off the nickel. (i really dont think that is a viable option to do)

No, not something I wanna put my name on unfortunately…

1 Like

from the practise cells

i understand thanks for the help

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

not good. lots of pieces of nickel stuck onto it (from the welds) and they required immense force to tear the nickel. doing that on a full battery is likely to end up way worse then it currently is

That’s completely normal. I remember once seeing someone use a dremel with the pink sander thing to remove those. As far as I remember, it turned out pretty good taking everything into consideration.

I’d suggest you to take some practice cells, weld on a nickel strip and then practice removing it again. See how nice you can get the finished result.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree.
Making all the series connection wires the same length adds resistance to the wires that could have been left shorter. This increases the voltage drop for the connections overall and results in reduced performance. The difference is tiny but IMO we shouldn’t add additional work that also reduces performance.

The current sharing between the wires will be slightly different, if different lengths, but this will have no practical effect.

I completely agree. It might not make a big practical performance difference but it is certainly one of the “best practices” we should all be following.

4 Likes

how large of a difference are we looking at? (requires doing over?)

the wires are spread over 3 out of the 6 cells.

That’s a really really REALLY good point that I never even thought of. I only ever really thought about the current sharing part.

Thanks for taking your time to correct me :slight_smile: It’s greatly appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

This is actually normal. I’ve seen people tear out cells from welds and they’re still functional. And yes, you need to apply pressure. Don’t worry about damaging the cells doing it. But if you want to do it without hassle, I’m not sure on this, but you can try using a plastic scraper and pop it out.

2 Likes

i dont think you understand how much force was required.
i think one mishap here will also cause a whole lot more damage then anything else

i will see what others think

ive seen it done before but that doesnt make it easy to do

I think it would be best to avoid this and just stick with prying.

Not sure if it will even be possible, but I’m afraid you’ll end up bending your cell by using it as something to hold against.

1 Like

Hmm, if it’s similar to breaking down computer batteries or breaking apart a full cell like this one to know what they are:

I’m familiar.

This is what I meant.

2 Likes

think the only way to do it is with pliers and yanking. the welds are very strong and make it not easy to pull apart without lots of force on the cell