The battery builders club

I’ve never seen an EUC battery so I wouldnt know.

But yeah, I wouldn’t touch one out of principle, i think they’re stupid machines.

7 Likes

yep
but i do want to build more batteries for people so… gonna def look more into it first.

I do those as well, and am also planning articles. I’ve started mirroring things on my blog as supplemental info. It’s slow going now, but as that project shapes out I’ll have that stuff as well. Taking photos while filming and building is a bit of a task, but doable.

Anyway, I don’t want to just promise a bunch of stuff, but it is something I’m working on. I can only hope it’ll be helpful.

2 Likes

@Halbj613 Listen to everyone. Don’t do it. Seriously.

I’ve worked on 3 EUC batteries. And now I’m done.

Granted, I’m not the most prolific battery builder at all, with just under 30 (I think), but I’ve learned enough to see risks and EUC batteries are a risk you do not need. At all.

You’re looking at functional liability, which is what everyone has mentioned. A battery fails on an EUC, it’s crashing. And usually, at very high speed.

I work on Onewheels, and the principle is similar, but generally it’s all below 20mph use, if even that. And those are between 15-45 cells.

An EUC battery, that’s as you’re saying, 100v, is a massive battery.

Also, 100v is extremely dangerous.

My hand got buzzed really well from 58v. 100v can kill you. Just from you touching something wrong. You are at literal risk of death, ESPECIALLY with your limited experience.

A good definition of an educated person is someone smart enough to know how ignorant they are.

Your confidence in this specific case, could be profoundly dangerous to yourself and others. And also, very dangerous in terms of liability.

If a 40 cell battery in an eskate goes up in flames, that’s really bad. Imagine a 100v battery, with much more arcing potential, made of 100-200 cells.

If someone or you get hurt on an EUC, you can blame the company or dealer. When it’s your battery, it’s on you.

I just balanced an EUC pack manually, and I’ve decided it’s the last thing from an EUC battery I’ll open up. Even if in the future I come to service or repair EUCs, I’d only be using OEM parts to limit my involvement in the clustercuss that is a high performance wheel with little concern on safety and longevity.

The battery I balanced had a concerning joint where nickel strip was soldered to the PCB. I sent photos to the person and explained in detail my concern. Then stressed my concern again, and again.

The end decision was just to wrap it back up and it’ll go back into use until it wears out or fails. I again relayed my concern, and left it at that, recommending the whole pack just be replaced.

That’s where I draw my line.

You really need to consider everything when stepping into that sphere.

If I could go back, I wouldn’t have even accepted the first EUC job. It was a lot of stress, and I still have anxiety of it lasting for the life of the wheel, which is really just a cheap plastic shell around a massive motor and barely protected battery.

15 Likes

wow okay i guess you are right.

im really not confident but i this was my first opportunity for a larger battery.
you are def right about the dangers on me and the responsibility if something goes wrong.
i’ll stick to escooters and esk8 and onewheel for the moment.

i will stay in the shallow end for the moment.

thanks for helping out

2 Likes

if anyone wants a battery built im happy to do them for free… (well just cost of cells and material)
i want to get experience and when i build i will upload pics here
built 6 batteries to date and each working fine (3 esk8 3 escooter)
have all the materials at my desk and way to much spare time so i can build within a couple days (no school for ages now)

pm me if you are interested

happy to help out and my work from now on will be posted.

(please try not to make fun of this)

thanks

1 Like

Also, don’t forget that when a uni rider falls, the device itself tumbles on hard asphalt at whatever speed they were riding

I’ve watched crashes launch the battery into the air.

3 Likes

Yeah, the crashes I’ve seen in the death tunnel run in NYC are all I need to just generally stay away from that world. Like…I’m good.

Some may poke fun at my Onewheel, but at the very least it doesn’t become shrapnel if I have a nosedive.

Haha you mean cutout tunnel? Yeah I’ve been a firsthand witness to some of those crashes and they’re not pretty

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one. Seems gnarly.

1 Like

100v DC wont kill you unless you have a condition that makes you more susceptible to that. In Germany the safety regulations say that everything under 120V DC is considered not live threatening for normal adults. Since you don’t weld the battery at max cell voltage it will be more around 80V-85V. Its always good to handle electricity with care but don’t be overly paranoid.

But i agree with you that the big concern is the safety of the EUC. If something does wrong at high speeds the EUC rider will have a lot higher chance of dying than @Halbj613 while building the battery.

6 Likes

High voltage isn’t inherently more dangerous, just makes bridging the air gap easier. A static shock from rubbing your socks on the carpet is upwards of 5kV, the current discharged is probably south of 1mAh. But mixing the two, high discharge (low IR) cells and high voltage packs is where everything gets dangerous as it can output hundreds of amps in a dead short @ 100V creating enough energy to melt steel wrenches in under a second.

But I also don’t make EUC packs, I also try to keep people off of EUC’s for the reasons other people posted above.

4 Likes

It’s just too much risk honestly. If you have an LLC that would help but still

@Halbj613 if someone died and their family sued you’d be done for (read, your parents)

2 Likes

I agree with this. Especially since DC is a bit safer to handle than actually making a safe battery for an EUC.

I’ve seen the craziest things to happen with those in NYC. Especially near Lincoln tunnel.

1 Like

@ShutterShock i agree

i told him im not doing euc stuff

just confirming with you though.

is escooters - esk8 - onewheel reasonably safe to do?

thanks

Here is the finished product everyone!
A 325wh portable charger :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Looks cool, the micro usb ports don’t really make sense though, what are you charging with a port on that side?

Also, did you get quickcharge USB ports? Normally those are green or orange or blue

1 Like

I cheaped out that’s why you see the micro usb’s, Its gonna take a whole day or two to charge fully through 2 micro-usb ports, and these boards are also cheap, 1.2-1.5 a output.
Nonetheless, it will work for it’s intended use
Edit: In the future I plan on reworking to case to accommodate a faster charger, and a lcd battery indicator.

Good to know all that information. I appreciate it.

However I wish I could tone down my anxiety, it’s unfortunately something I struggle with day to day. There’s always a balance between engaging in activities I enjoy like building and riding, and mitigating the kinds of risks that make me lose sleep.

3 Likes

^^^^^^^ All kinds of this. Risk mitigation is the skeleton key to Zen-like states of blissfull existence. At least imho. Hence why cell-level fusing seems like such a stellar build technique.

2 Likes