The battery builders club

just wait for when I do my 20s12p xD wont be for a board tho. way bigger too with 26650’s

@moddedlife this :point_up_2: very important, even tho model 3 cells are pretty easy to weld IF you have the right settings and the right nickel.

2 Likes

Not amps, those are milliseconds if I remember correctly.

1 Like

How will you mount the battery, enclosure, or deck?

1 Like

Is it ok to group by S group instead of P group?

You probably could but the balance cables would be a nightmare

4 Likes

possible, but then you’d have to run 48 balance wires on a f.e. a 12s4p pack…

3 Likes

Hmm ok and I would want to isolate each cell from each other which would take more room too?

just use some plastic spacers, those leave an airgap between the cells, and air is one of the best isolators there is.

1 Like

888g +/- 4g so 14.2kg or 31lbs. My battery weighs more than many boards weigh :sob:

Absolutely. I had recieved one defective cell (ordered in groups of 25 so I had 8 extras and didn’t need it luckily) which I was refunded for so that will be perfect for practicing.

1 Like

3d printed enclosures. Bms and esc mounted on top of back truck. 🖼 Pictures and Nothing Else! - #6021 by moddedlife

1 Like

It is “OK” to do that, in the sense that if done right, nothing will blow up.
It is, however, a lot of extra work for little to no benefit.

2 Likes

Imagine with the nickel, cables, BMS on top of that :exploding_head: you better not live in an area with lots of stairs :woozy_face:

1 Like

Just about finished with my second battery build… It’s a 10s5p of P26A cells. This will be the battery replacement for my son, which means no more M Boards battery on his setup.

Pack Pics

Quick Questions:

1. I bought a 5A charger but it’s pushing 6A. That’s a tad faster than I wanted but I shouldn’t have an issue with pushing these cells that high on 18AWG?
BMS & Charger

1. Do the BMS setting look accurate?
BMS Settings

1 Like

Spot welder finally came in bois, had to order some more nickel and kapton tape for the packs but wanted to know how these test welds look.

10ms pulse duro with short pulse set to 12% of pulse time.
Positive is welded with 0.2mm by 10mm

And negative with 0.2mm by 6mm

Test cell didnt have much clean space on it for welds

Not much tear on neg side and pos almost easily came off probs gotta up the duro to 15ms maybe

And this is with one of my spare cells on 15ms pulse

2 Likes

Did a few more test welds turned short pulse back to default and uped the ms to 16ms and welds stuck good,dont really like how some welds has that brown ish weld but nickle sticks well and i think its just the electrodes that causes that browning effect on some welds probably will buy the much better kweld ones later on but these will do for now

1 Like

First test solder on the nickel strips.

14awg was ok but the 10 gauge takes too much solder and looks shit ass…

Do we need to secure our p groups in our enclosures or is neoprene all around good enough?

1 Like

More questions :stuck_out_tongue:

First welds on my first battery!!!

How do they look? Yes some are definitely off-centre although I’m quite sure none of them are in the centre of the cells which is important. Is 6 welds enough or are 8 better? I might not fit 8 on the positive terminals…

I did manage 8 welds on the positive terminals but not sure if necessary. Are they potentially too close or does that even matter?

Nickel strip’s all cut and rounded up!!

Can’t remember who mentioned the paper guillotine but that was clutch, made chomping the nickel soo much quicker :grin:

2 Likes

Ok I am so frustrated right now that I have to share it with you.
Got wheelchair battery for a repair. 10s5p. It won’t charge.

After removing heatshrink, this is what I see:

There is NO bms! Not just that, no fishpaper rings, no insulation between groups, balance tabs on + without any insulation underneath… and it won’t charge because fuse blew.

After further inspection, I noticed that at least one group is dead. Let’s check that.
That whole group is actually not connected in parallel!! Wtf? This is actually 9s5p + 1s3p for discharge and 9s5p + 1s2p for charge! For a freaking wheelchair! WHEELCHAIR! For someone who actually can’t run away from fire!!!

Look at this 2p group, connected directly to charging port -. No parallel connection with other 3 cells there.

Be careful where your buy your batteries.

14 Likes

Bruh, that’s ratchet…

I’m in awe it didn’t just spontaneously combust. Still looks better than my first pack :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Report this company /person to trading standards. That’s disgraceful!

7 Likes