The battery builders club

Yes, provided the connections are the same.

I personally would just yank the original completely if you’re already that far into it, just to avoid any chance of a damaged BMS frying a good one.
This also simplifies things and makes it harder for a mistake to sneak up on you in the middle of a bunch of wire spaghetti.

1 Like

yeah issue is original bms was a pcb based one (similar to dri kit which was also a bms) which is super strongly attached to the battery and gonna be a pain to remove. would prefer to attach a second bms to confirm all is good first.

2 Likes

My first actual spot welds on spare cells before I go at it for real. Trying to dial in how much juice I should weld at. This is with 70 amps and varying pulse durations on each weld.

This one is one pulse per weld and was a bit too easy to pull off.

So I set it to two pulses this time; still at 70 amps and similar durations. I could probably take it off with pliers if I tried but I don’t want to damage the cell but I don’t know if that is really a problem. Seems on there quite good so I think that’s down fine! Should I turn down the amperage or time a tad though? Seem to have a bit more discoloration that most I see here but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Amps? Is this a malectrics thing?

Sunkko. Think that’s what that number is, it’s in Chinese.

1 Like

Ah, no idea haha

oh no the sunko :grimacing:stares at my PoS sunko sitting on a box

1 Like

4 Likes

first person to complain about my soldering gets cat shit in their mailbox free of charge :rofl:

1 Like

We have seen much worse lol

It can be tough sometimes to get those big contacts flowed and looking clean

I wish I could show you a picture of the first one vs the last one. The last one used about half as much solder, and was so much cleaner than the first one. I reflowed and fixed the first one, but the progress I made from doing 12 of those was incredible.

3 Likes

Practice makes progress, very true with soldering.

2 Likes

Waiting for my nickel to arrive now.

10 Likes

Beautiful bricks.

2 Likes

Thank you! It took wayyyyy longer than I’d have ever thought. First I hot glued then silicone caulk multiple times (column then row then top then bottom) and cleaned every single cell post drying to make the lines look clean.

1 Like

I doubt it’s actually amps, no matter what the writing is. 70 amps just isn’t enough for a good spot weld no matter how long the pulse is.

Might be amps*10, so 700, which would be more realistic. Still probably not this either though.

1 Like

And i thought my 12s12p triple stack im doin soon for my board was crazy which is is but hot dam fam 16s12p

2 Likes

Will be my first build :see_no_evil: wish me luck. Never used a spot welder before :joy:

2 Likes

trust using a good lipo welder is alot easier then u may think and im happy that ur 1st pack will be a long range pack so u can just enjoy ur ride rather then living that #chargelife. I got faith in u M8. long as u do a few test welds on a test cell just to get ur settings dialed in before working on the bread and butter youll be completely fine.

1 Like

sheeeeesh How much does each brick weighs ? can’t wait for the end result!

1 Like