The battery builders club

Yeah, you can try lowering it to 20A/vesc after equipping a helmet and protector to see if the same phenomenon occurs.

It is possible that you are experiencing a large voltage sag as you accelerate and the BMS is cutting off the discharge output.
Is the BMS a bypass discharge?

Bypass yesā€¦ only chargeā€¦ okey, i get protectors of course:) I tried on full trottle before, maybe it reached the limit just yesterdayā€¦

Is this problem possible with only charge bms too?

Usually no.
The vesc itself and the BMS are the only two things that would be able to cause the problem youā€™re having.

Either
A: the BMS is not bypassed and itā€™s shutting down at high load (or for other reasons), or
B: the vesc is having some kind of issue, either from being misconfigured or some other reason.

If it happens at full throttle, then it could be a Duty cycle current limit start bug. I donā€™t remember exactly, but some firmware versions must have included this.

It is on 85%. Doesent loose torque, it shutdowned already. But maybe the carger port causes thatā€¦ i found it just now. 20210501_092610|375x500

If the chargeing port ha short circuit, is it damages the bms or battery?

It sure looks like it burned. :boom:

It may cause irreparable damage, or it may not be much of a problem. If it were me, I would replace the charging port anyway and see how it goes for a while.

Thank you guys, maybe the chinese cheated me and didnā€™t send me it with bms onlycharge (other things also missed)ā€¦ Iā€™m curious what he says, i wrote him. But alibaba is safe i thinkā€¦

This is why many users here advocate for using a fuse on the charge portā€¦ If this happens, the damage stops at the charge port and fuse and goes no further. Best of luck to your system.

1 Like

This looks correct to me, except the wire going from the loopkey to the VESC should be red. :wink:

14 AWG for balance leadsā€¦why not? Not me, Iā€™m asking for a friend :smirk: :grin:

1 Like

5 amp balancing current :flushed:!!

1 Like

If they do somehow short out, they will take a lot longer to burn up than the thinner stuff. The thin ones should kind of self fuse when shorted. With thicker cables they might not do that and end up damaging the pack even more (potential thermal runaway)

2 Likes

whatā€™s the sweet spot/sizeā€¦that donā€™t sound right do it?..i mean whatā€™s the optimal wire size for balance leads?

1 Like

They are usually around 22-24AWG.

You can go thinner if you want as they donā€™t carry much current.

1 Like

I made my first Esk8 with 32 or 36ga (donā€™t do this) serial cable, if you hit the wires in the right place they would snap clean with <1lbs of force so definitely 26ga or larger.

1 Like

I use 26AWG. I have the balancing turned off by default so the leads are only used for reading the voltage. Balancing at 100 mA is still not a problem at all.

1 Like

Should I shove some caulk into these holes? I was just going to put on outside to connect the rows. All the rows are hot glued then caulked.

1 Like

Looks well glued. Just go around the whole thing with some strong fiberglass tape. Thats what is really gonna hold it together under vibrations. Lightly sanding/scuffing the cells makes a bigg difference for me when using hot glue. Others have also mentioned isopropyl alcohol before hot glueing but sanding lightly works for me.

1 Like