The battery builders club

I will have two 12awg wires for series connections. Just to be safe, I will have every series connection have 1 bntechgo wire and 1 aliexpress so there is always 1 quality tested wire for each connection. I feel confident that they are the same but I have no experience with this stuff.

Perhaps I can also touch the insulation after the battery is running after setting up the vesc tool and see if they heat up the same? Or can I measure the voltage difference across both series connections and it should be zero as they are both connecting the same two p groups? Or is it better to measure current and they should both split the current equally (be the same) when transferring the energy between p groups?

1 Like

Has anyone here gotten their hands on/tried the smart daly bms? Just saw this thing on aliexpress and it piqued my interest.

New stock!

13 Likes

Order placedā€¦ bro quit stocking dope shit. I could have probably saved some cash by driving across the bridge and picking shit up :joy:

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m wrong about this, but naturally Iā€™m doubting myself. Generally I keep negative commentary to myself as well. I likely should have in this case. Anyway, I criticized a pack posted on the KWeld FB group, specifically the build and welding. It looked fairly rough, and the mention of it being a pack the person made for someone else pushed me to comment.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is sloppy work? Reflecting back on it, I feel like a bit of a prick for saying anything in the first place. But mostly now Iā€™m thinking I could just be actually wrong about the welds on the shoulders and centers. I get really paranoid when I build for other people, so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a high level of :eyes: when Iā€™m looking at packs these days.

5 Likes

It definitely isnā€™t up to snuff for the builds done around here. I donā€™t think your wrong for raising concern, especially knowing this could be in the hands of someone unsuspecting.

1 Like

Yeah thats nickel carrying the series connection, I dont think thats going to work for more than 20-30 welds before burning up strip of 10mm nickel.

Well speaking of battery blunders, did I totally shit the bed here guys. As I mentioned before I totally forgot to put rings on these cells. The battery cell holders are solid as fuck now and arenā€™t going to come apart nicely. The Molicel have a plastic isolation ring already under the shrink. Being this is a rigid pack going in an ebike, what are your thoughts on not using rings ?

Looking like you havenā€™t welded or done anything permanent, so Iā€™d personally wiggle the frame off and take an afternoon to put the rings on. Couple cups of a hot drink and mindless TV that you donā€™t need to pay attention to, and itā€™s an easy job.

3 Likes

I have never seen any insulation rings on commercial packs like the makitas or Milwaukee power tools if it makes you feel any better.
There is a thick insulation ring there in place under the wrap already.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think this would be fineā€¦ the plastic rings in most cells are really sturdy, and the cells being in holders plus the less vibratory environment an ebike is letā€™s me think that this is fine. Just my two cents though.

Also the pack posted above looks like shit, but if itā€™s just sitting around and not moving, also no high amps, its gonna be fine, no? More info on what its for is what is needed to make a good claim if its itā€™s good or nah.

Use-case is everything. I wouldnā€™t trust that pack in anything that moves, but if itā€™s a powerwall or a back up battery or something, then itā€™s probably fine.

2 Likes

How easy/hard is it to mold the ring down against the top of the cells in that holder? You might be able to get them down onto the cell anyway?

Thatā€™s actually a good idea. Iā€™ll try that first !

1 Like

If that doesnā€™t work you could always just cut arcs of fishpaper ring out and put those down onto the exposed parts of the cell tops.

A total PITA but if the frame isnā€™t coming off then it might be another option. Takes a long time but is easy to do in front of good movie. :grin:

1 Like

I am trying to figure out if there is a clean way to design a 12S3P, P42A pack for an Eboosted Bustin Sportster MKII enclosure. Pics for reference:

It looks like the enclosure is designed to hold 8 across (perfect for 4P) and I am not sure if there is a good way to maximize the leftover free space with a 3P battery design. Please forgive my ignorance, perhaps this is not as complicated as I am making it out to be.

3 Likes

@Skyart - Was this configuration too much of a PITA to consider?

4 Likes

Donā€™t do it, not worth at all

8 Likes

TBH it hurts my head a bit just looking at it, but I applaud your creativity!

2 Likes

By far the hardest pack Iā€™ve ever builtā€¦by faaaaar, needed to be in that shape and flexibleā€¦I donā€™t think it ever got put to use tho. Looking back at it, I would have done some things very differently

1 Like