The battery builders club

And here’s why… a lucky escape…

16 Likes

:grimacing:

4 Likes

no that was one which hadnt been done
i pulled the nickel off there

context is bigben took my 30t cells in return for some enclosure and deck fitting he is doing for me

It might be the same kind of systems as Mosfets are rated with, max junction temperature aka. on the silicon die and then the thermal resistances to the external package.

2 Likes

Alls well that ends well…
:grin:

6 Likes

I don’t know all the ways it can be done but one way is by embedding a thermocouple in a cell when manufacturing it.

Another way is to use a mathematical model of the cell to estimate internal temperature based on external temp and temp distribution across the cell’s exterior. Characterizing the various materials and calculating their thermal resistance lets them create some very accurate models.

Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) can also be used as it tracks changes in cell IR at various frequencies and this gives them a great look at various things going on inside the cell.

2 Likes

What’s the best Ali store for 50mm x .2mm nickel?

1 Like

Steel City Store probably

2 Likes

They only have 30mm

Hmm, I though they used to have it. Pick one with a 96%+ seller rating if you can

2 Likes

Seems like “Quality Tool Store” has the best rating of 50mm nickel sellers.

1 Like

Seeing some of the latest developments here has me questioning my first pack purchase. Only opened this board a few times since I built it, rides perfectly. But I got a feeling there’s some sag that could be investigated… I don’t know what do you guys think, should I open her up? This was 2018, before I started building my own packs

2 Likes

Pleas stop and look at spec

AWG10 at 60A can get to 105 degC I don’t want to think of the heat at 140A. Tho it’s one way to keep your feet warm

2 Likes

How would you make the connection to the esc then? 4 guage will not fit with xt90 connector? If you were to use two 8 guage in parallel and rejoin before the connector then that bit that jobs them just before it goes into the xt90 will only be one 8 guage thick?

Those numbers are for longer wires, it’s more of a try your best to have the highest rated wire you can, we can probably double those

3 Likes

I saw on muirskate website that they work with MyUS.com.
Do you guys know this one, is it competitive?

2x 12awg is my go-to. If space is really constrained I will insulate some copper braid with sticky heat shrink

Hi,
finally getting round to making a battery for my EBoosted Sportster enclosure,
does this lay out look ok?

Will double up the the silicone between each pocket, I’m using 25r’s I already have.

leaning towards the above layout as my soldering ‘skills’ are just ok and the layout below would require more silicone soldered between each pocket, and there’d be less wiring sitting on top of the battery that could get shorted.

The lower one is way safer snd easier to insulate the problem areas. (IMO)

Thanks Ben,
which areas would be problem ones?
I was thinking as the 2nd layout has more wiring and nickel on top it would be more problematic (this is going into the EBoosted enclosure so each row of 3 P Groups have a solid divider between them)