The battery builders club

If you’re feeling crafty try folding a triangle and wedge it in place with some hot glue or double stick tape, anything that will make the 2 blocks into one solid piece

You can just cut a couple triangles and hot glue them in but that’s less cool

1 Like

i can try doing that i was more thinking wrapping in tape to stop any movement and then shrinkwrapping.
i can try though

I find shrink wrap to hold things better than tape, it rolls over to make end caps and it tightens on all sides, 90% of the time I use tape it gets scrunched as the shrink wrap does its job

Exception being things that just can’t be taped obviously, if the shrink wrap forms a pocket then everything in the pocket should be taped

1 Like

ah k i see
gonna use a cardboard triangle then
only issue is it will have to run on top of the balance leads as they are going down the triangle in the middle

The triangle can be a few mm shorter than the cell blocks

1 Like

yep was the plan
cover the balance leads after in fishpaper and then put the triangle on top

any tips for soldering into the holes in the bms so c- and b-

Tin the wire, stick it through the hole at an angle so it’s in contact, reflow it

1 Like

k cheers just makign sure im not missing anything

just making sure the balance leads are ok
straight and right?

1 Like

If you tug on them are they all secure?

2 Likes

yep very more pics incoming very soon

2 Likes

k so before anyone says im stupid i know i am
i soldered the balance leads and they are perfect
then i soldered b- and that went fine
i by mistake soldered it to the psotive of the battery
when i plugged the balance cable in it smoked a little so quickly unplugged
how can i checked if i ruined the bms?

i have a spare i can use in an emergency

1 Like

It’s probably dead… In my experience, it’s pretty easy to blow a bms, especially when you hook up the balance leads.

Look closely at the PCB and see if you can find any burned resistors or transistors

2 Likes

so looked and couldnt see anything but will send close up pics
if it is dead what would happen if i attempted to plug it in?

here you go

Hard to tell from that pic. I would imagine nothing would happen if you plugged it in dead, unless something shorted. Hard to say really.

1 Like

k will try and hopefully wont do anything very bad

well i plugged it in and its measuring the wrong voltage i checked between the balance leads and they are all fine but for some reason it measure 41v when it should measure 42.5 and it says group 1 is 2v
not sure if the issue is the bms or if i soldered c- badly

well i actually think i have 2 dead bms now i plugged the other in (no c- yet) and that didnt work either. it came up with some random numbers. think i might need to order another

just making sure you cant see anything wrong with the balance leads themselves. ordered a bms from apex and hopefully they can ship with first class tomorrow as that means i can have it by thursday

Bruh I swear I lose IQ points every time you post about your battery adventures.
Please take your time and triple check everything, as funny as this I don’t want you to get hurt.

8 Likes

Eventually he will run out of mistakes to make, at least he’s trying to learn

16 Likes