The battery builders club

Pretty sure he wants his bms to be balancing at all times, with the charger plugged in or not.

IMO its a waste of energy

2 Likes

It’s really only necessary to balance while you are charging up the battery. Though if your battery is severely out of balance, it will finish charging before it finishes balancing, which will cut off the balancing and result with a still unbalanced battery. This is when turning off “balancing only while charging” is useful because it allows the battery to balance itself even when it’s not charging.

2 Likes

probbaly a stupid question but just confirming that the balance leads go on the positive nickel piece? and they can go anywhere on it

thanks

What’s your battery situation? I’m having a hard time visualizing it.

1 Like

just finished welding and done most soldering
before i cover the open areas i need to attach balance leads and just confirming i havent done anything stupid and that the balance leads should be attached to the positive

People normally connect to -ve because the can is -ve and it reduces chance of shorts near the connection

1 Like

so on each p group i connect to the negative of the group?

thanks just dumbing it out for me

Look at info on your bms / instructions.
Basically it needs to be able to read voltages across each p group.
I don’t have BmS in my board and connections can be different for some models…?

2 Likes

ah okay

my bms i dont think actually came with instructions will find them online

Still not really sure but if the wire is running along the cell, I would run it up the negative side so that even if it shorts against the can it’s at the same voltage.

For example I would recommend the red line here instead of the blue because the blue could short against the corner or the can of the cell and short out because they are different voltages.

3 Likes

ah okay so if i doesnt matter i will do negative

thanks

2 Likes

But make sure they’re all on the negative except the last red wire

2 Likes

Here is the instructions for the smart BMS type we got mate

2 Likes

yep so finsihed all soldering except bms and measuring 42.7v

seems all good gonna wire balance cable tomorrow

1 Like

they clame to put the balance leads on the positive

does that mean i should put the last 2 leads both on the last negative?
thanks

will send a diagram later

1 Like

soldered connection between packs and finish line is looking closer
just bms and main leads to go

2 Likes

I would recomend you separate those 2 long packs with something more then just fishpaper, because your main passive and negative will be so close to each other

2 Likes

What Skyart said, either use a lot of fish paper (maybe 3 layers if you have the good stuff) or a layer of fiberglass sheet panel

2 Likes

You can also use some hard plastic from a binder for example

2 Likes

ah ok was just gonna use like 6 layers of fishpaper (3 on each side)
is that ok?

2 Likes