The battery builders club

I did, the nikle ripped on the welds rather than the two pieces separating. Used the same settings and materials on the hole pack

Welp, the pack should be stableā€¦I donā€™t have any answers for you

1 Like

Iā€™m planning out a portable board charger, its going to be 10s for easy charging, and have a CCCV 1200W boost converter for boards anywhere between 10s-18s.

My question is do I need an antispark between the battery and boost converter or should a regular high current rocker switch be fine? Iā€™m mainly just worried about the inrush current of the caps on the boost converter being a problem.

Iā€™m going to use copper braid for the first time. Could you guys share some advice about what and where to buy for around 80A continuous.

Thanks

The other side looks like this:

Does anyone have any other ideas? It this is the first time I am discharging the battery, but when I charged the battery from 90 to 100% pack 12 was also a bit aheadā€¦ Should I try to get e few cycles in before taking the pack out to investigate further? If one of the cells is dead its only about 10%of the p groupā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m having a similar situation with one of my groups on a 18s5p, I removed the whole group and tore off the nickel, it turns out one of my cells had cold welds. I would recomend you do the same. Remove the while group, take off the nickel and test each battery voltage. In the process im sure you will learn what is up

1 Like

So tear off nickel, clean off the tapps and test whether one cell has a different voltage? :sob::sob:Sounds messy

2 Likes

These fuckers were actually cold!

I could pull this row off very easily :frowning:
Can I just weld on this nickel or should I use a new one?

2 Likes

Never mindā€¦ Iā€™ll use new one, the whole tap came offā€¦ Other side and other packs look much better and withstand a lot of pull

1 Like

You should use a new one.

And if one set of welds is cold, then I wouldnā€™t trust the others all that far either.
I sense a battery repackening in your future :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Dear Godā€¦

2 Likes

Its worth the effort to rebuild it. A loose weld can easily damage a cell, and the whole group, and it can do it in only a few cycles too, resulting in damaged cells at minimum and a big ol fire at worst.

1 Like

Is there a trick to soldering tinned copper jumper wires for p groups. I canā€™t do it and still have the wire stay flexible. Solder seems to flow into the length of wire no matter what I do. Maybe just longer wire or faster or no flux . IDK

You need compression and heat disipation on the area you want to stay flexible

So a clamp on the midway point and remove the silicone so it can cool faster. I didnt have this problem on my last battery with copper braid

Oh my bad, I thought you were taking about braid (I think I read grounding strap for some reason)

What does the wire you are soldering look like? If there are big strands itā€™s easy for the solder to keep wicking through

10 ga tinned copper silicon wire seems to soak it up like a mop. Its super fine shit. Maybe Iā€™ll try a 30watt or something. It takes like 1 second with a 160 watt

Man thatā€™s really unfortunate. Maybe you werenā€™t pressing the electrodes hard enough onto the battery

What welder do you use?