The battery builders club

Thx…I hope so, I really love this DIY build…the feeling of riding something you put together with your own hands is priceless…especially a build like this. Remember I’m coming from CGT with a 1.5 year old battery that I have to ride to work now. I’ll get there sometime this morning :grin::smirk:

2 Likes

Im doing around 1000 welds per day when working so I need 2 for sure, but for personal use one will be fine for sure

These stay basucally at the room temp all the time

4 Likes

How do you deal with hot electrodes?

A thousand welds a day keeps the doctor away :wink:

I have a fan above, and i put a piece of cloth over them so my hands dont get cooked

Im going to make 2 sets on a lathe and install them both in a few days so when one gets hot, I just switch to the other

They will be slightly bigger and I will cut it like a heatsink with a dremel in them

2 Likes

Some of the guys at ES made wooden probe holders. Buh I worry that would allow you to keep welding when things are getting too hot.

Not too bad hopefully :smiley:

4 Likes

Exacly, cooling them with water wpuld be the best but then my setup would be much more complicated and much less portable, but the capacitors allowed to work much faster than with regular lipos anyways so im happy

1 Like

I would check my battery regularly. The braid looks pretty soaked up with solder which can make it brittle and brake in this places

Doesn’t need to be, but better to have an eye on it from time to time.

3 Likes

@stan. second what @Andy87 said. I don’t like those series connections.

3 Likes

@Andy87 Too much solder on those? For me those should be the part that doesn’t flex.
I took extra care to glue every pack to the enclosure and glueing them together so they would stay “connected” 2 by 2. I did glue the packs to some insulating paper before making them a pack of 2.

i arrived at work and put the board on charge, after about 5 mins the charger light started blinking red/green i unplugged it and powered the board on to check the battery level it was like 40%. i powered the board off and plugged the charger in…it started charging and went up to 95% 49.7v. after work i went on a ride around to try and get a good drain on it checking every mile or so. at one point the board did a weird power cutoff thing watching the metr pro app on my phone the battery level was all over the place 0,40,50,20,45,15… i made it home check battery level it said 40%. attempted a charge i got the red/green blinking…unplugged it immediately. checked the charger it measured 50.5. i then checked the batter at the xt60 and it measured 41.7v or 41.9v can’t remember. i them removed the rest of the enclosure and discovery what you see in the pic.

2 Likes

Cheers @taz for the hot tip. Welding nickel to nickel without a cell underneath, using a piece of aluminium instead. Works a treat!

8 Likes

Use regular wire instead of the braided copper and make the connections longer, instead of being straight solder them on an angle

1 Like

hi guy’s , is enough one 10 awg wire for the p group ?

How large the p group is?

the grup is 4 p

10 awg is enough then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ok ok , acido , thankyou :wink:

1 Like

Having just one wire forces more current to travel through the nickel.

2 Likes