The battery builders club

So so so much nope from me. Frayed ends look like scrape/puncture city and the vibrations will wear this down fast. more solder, no sharp edges and heat shrink that bitch, maybe multiple times

10 Likes

Ugh another long post and no pictures.

9 Likes

Lol just kidding. Whatā€™s going on?

3 Likes

@Skunk I think he is mad that no one called out @monkey32 for what he considered a rude comment, kinda like you did with him and the whole karam taking pics issueā€¦ nothing that matters.

On something more on topic. This prolly belongs in the noob thread but its battery specific ao i will ask here. I know the 10s8p mh1 pack has max amp of 80 just like a 10s4p 30qā€¦ this only pertains to speed and not range right? Does this mean both packs reach similar speed but the 8p has more range?

I donā€™t feel like @monkey32 comment was rude or fearmongering.
Just warring and giving advice. Not like he said "never use breaded cable "

You literally said I donā€™t need his help because ( list mistakes from kids past) when he had no part in the conversationā€¦ pretty big difference dude.

I think thatā€™s just your perception

If you canā€™t tell the difference between this situation and the one where you bashed @KaramQ idk what to tell ya mate :man_shrugging:

I give everyone shit at one point or another . Read the title. Donā€™t take it personally.

If I really donā€™t like you youā€™ll know.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ll probably solder the frayed ends together to be safe so that there is no sharp ends left, then kapton tape and heat shrink it.

4 Likes

Yep that is exactly what I am planning on doing. The pictures I uploaded was a trial run to see if I can improve my soldering job. Iā€™ll make sure to follow your advice and secure the braid against fishpaper and secure it with tape. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@giganticfatty I am just curious, is there any specific reason that you didnā€™t use silicone wire instead of braided copper?

2 Likes

Usually more cells will mean more current possible, but I guess if they say 80A, then it probably should be limited to 80A, since they probably just used the same thickness wires. So yes, more range, but same amount of acceleration. Maybe slightly more due to less sag (so possible to get that nice 80A at higher overall voltage), but yeah.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using winfly hardware compression packs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t use the pen, Use the inbuild welds from the machine

2 Likes

Top speed (max motor rpm) is a function of voltage, so (in theory) any 10s battery will have the same top speed. Max amp draw can be increased by parallel cells, which increases accelleration only if amp draw is being limited by a battery with insufficient max amps. Range (total wh energy) is increased by adding more batteries.

Iā€™m busy setting up my new vescs with new battery for the first time and want to make sure I have everything set up correctly. As mentioned previously in this thread, Iā€™ve got a 12s4p battery made up of Samsung 30qā€™s. Iā€™ve got 2 VESC 6s (one VESC 6 and one VESC 6 plus) and 2 of these:

Iā€™m not sure what the battery current max and battery current max regen should be for this new battery. Each battery has a max discharge of 15A so Iā€™m assuming that I can set the max discharge for 4p at 60A. Is this correct?

What would be good for regen?

Also, what is the max that I can charge at to protect my battery? 2A?

Each VESC has individual settings, so you have to add them together. For 60a max battery, you would set each to 30a max. You should be safe to charge at 4a, but I would fuse your charging port. I use -7 regen myself. Hopefully someone else can explain that setting though.

1 Like

Sorry if I was ā€¦offensiveā€¦there man.

Load of awesome from captain douch waffle (@s5300 - can that please be his title descriptor mods) aside.

Iā€™m far from a pro at these things. I just worry about what those slivers of tinned copper might do. Sharp objects and vibration or flex can work there way into plastic heatshrink. There are enough fires out there where we donā€™t know how they happenedā€¦the possibility of sharp, conductive, material bouncing around in MY enclosure would be a big no. Thatā€™s not to say cool idea and you are off to a good start

3 Likes

No worries at all. I appreciate the feedback. Wouldnā€™t want my battery to go poof in the middle of a ride either.

4 Likes

sunkko settings 220v
0.10 adjust 1-2 and 3-4 for pen
0.12 adjust 2-3 and 4-5 for pen
0.15 adjust 3-4 and 3-4+4p for pen
0.20 adjust 3-4+4p and 7-8+4p6p for pen
0.25 adjust 5-6+4p canā€™t use the pen
0.30 adjust 7-8+4p canā€™t use the pen

2 Likes

Attempt #2. Figured Iā€™d take more pictures this time to show everything that Iā€™m doing.

Soldered the split ends together, then added more solder when securing the xt30 to the braid. Did a pull test and was not able to break off the joint.

Kapton tape to secure the braid a little:

Added balance cables to 0V and 4.2V. Added heat shrink to the ends:

Added fish paper under the connectors then added more Kapton tape to secure everything:

Is there anything I should change before I continue with the other groups? Thank you all for your help :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Is it just me or are your - and + both coming off the + ?

Edit ahh wait 2S4P

Edit 2: looks good

1 Like

The heatshrink will break before the silicone does trust me