The battery builders club

That’s pretty neat, never seen it before

1 Like

I agree with this, though I doubt the difference in cell wear is enough for this to really come into play.

10 to 20 cycles, max amp draw I ever hit was 20A/cell for about 4 seconds. Almost always well below that. Think 5A/cell or less for regular riding.

Since these are not actually “old” I dont think this is a concern (or at least no more of a concern than if they were new and I was worried about a bad cell).

2 Likes

Ok, so I have found some reasonably cheap cells locally in New Zealand but they are low/medium discharge - Panasonic NCR18650BD, 3000mAh, 10A continuous discharge.

They’re around half the cost of the cheapest bulk price I can get 30Qs for here. (Half the discharge current also…)

What’s the consensus on medium discharge cells like this for large packs? Is the cost benefit justified - who has done this? - comments and advice please.

(Should I consider these for say a double stack 10S/10P build?)

Not mega amps, but 100A discharge is maybe ok, weight penalty is there but decent capacity…?

if you have the room, it’s a decent choice. Using 30q’s in a 12s10p pulling 80 batt amps is kind of a waste, IMO. Since we are often up against space constraints, the 30q (and other high discharge cells) are preferred over lower discharge cells ,even if they are cheaper
of course this depends on the discharge characteristics of the cell. I have an 8p of some of those salvaged cells out of them Jump bikes 10a discharge and they sag a lot under moderate discharge. they bounce back, and they last a loooong time but the swings drive me crazy :dizzy_face:

1 Like

:ok_hand: :fish:
Yeah the size/weight penalty is there.
Just finished 10s5p single stack 30Q in my Hummie.
But I can make an enclosure for next build so no drama. Prolly looking at a double stack arrangement in any case. Sag doesn’t sound ideal on a similar 8p pack. Hmm.
Not into the build for a while, just weighing up options.
Cheers bro

1 Like

Sag is something to consider, but something else to consider is that the more amps you are pulling from the cell, the less mAh you are going to get out of it. That capacity rating (like all cell ratings) are from tests done at much lower discharge than what the cell is rated for.

So even if those cells can push 10A continuous safely, you may very well be getting much less than 3000mAh out of each cell.

3 Likes

Yep. Mooch tests look ok suggest about 2800mAh at 10A.

But down to 3.2V (around cutoff?) it’s only like 1500mAh at 10A…? :thinking:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/image-png.613791/

Maybe P42A? Seems like a pretty good balance if you’re looking for more than the usual amount of battery amps with less sag comparatively

Anyone charging their battery @ 12+ amps?

1 Like

I mean I can…what about it?

I just dont see many people do it?

P42a standard charge rate is 1c (16-17a for a 12s4p)

Yeah we all could definitely charge faster than we do haha. Just expensive.

It’s not great to do…I have a 7p 30Q pack with dual BMS so I can definitely charge at 12A without much issue but it’s a lot of money for something I really don’t need

1 Like

My feeling is that if I cant charge it in under an hour, then its a “charge overnight” device (all my esk8s are this, unfortunately)

1 Like

Well that (<$100) and the fact that the chargers are physically massive

1 Like

this will look good in my handbag

Yerp

Slap some straps on that bad boy and it IS your handbag

1 Like

Its twice the thickness of my big charger. All the other dimensions are the same :joy:

This isnt expensive…?

1 Like