The battery builders club

ok, but if it wasn’t touching all the cells before, it will have incomplete contact after as well. welding the p-group will connect those cells but will force the current to run along the nickel until it finds the nese tab (through the neighboring cell). This will probably work but is not ideal. Cheers

2 Likes

I think i actually have a new 709a in my drawer. I didn’t like it.

4 Likes

That’s the entire reason I want to weld the Pgroup together and am asking what size nickle to use… Anyways @longhairedboy reached out to me and I also ordered a malectrics spot welder. This will be solved.
Thanks everyone. Im trying to keep this airline friendly, that’s why I didn’t just weld the pack up to begin with.

6 Likes

I was using magnets to hold the nickel in place and I saw something kinda cool

10 Likes

Yeah fuck that. The last thing I want happening while building batteries is little conductive gremlins that jump around on their own and like sticking to metal.

13 Likes

Haha, it’s been pretty tame when I leave it in the middle. I put my cells in the jig, stick the nickel with the magnet, remove the cells, do a tack welds at each end, remove the magnet, then do the other 7 welds

1 Like

I stick my magnet on something else while welding the rest lmao

lmao

3 Likes

I got a battery to take apart. And use cells for spot weld practice.

Testing my learnings. Things look bad to me.

• duct tape?
  • wildly run balance wires.
  • series braided cable barely attached.
  • pgroups glued on edges but with no extra mechanical support of something like silicone.
  • one thin strip of fish paper separates two pgroups sides Maybe that’s enough?
  • no fish paper between wiring and cells.
  • maybe more.

How’d I do?

3 Likes

Hmmm… looks solid 2 me :eyes::penguin:
Wonder who gave u dat… :doughnut:

5 Likes

3 Likes

Why is it so awful…?

6 Likes

@xsynatic still looking for entertainment? Some smoked cells above.

2 Likes

• Negative end of pack. All the current goes through one strip of 7mm wide nickel tab.
  • middle of the pack 3/4 current goes through the nickel to the series connection.

Edit: the nickel is two layer. So that helps a little. I think it’s 0.15x7mm though. Which is hot at 40amps. On a 60amp capable pack. Maybe if it’s 0.2mm and 8mm it’s in better shape.

2 Likes

That pack is FUCKED… Like FUCKEd fucked

2 Likes

I do. Still got some time as i just woke up and in roughly 3 hours i have to be there. Won’t look at the stuff until i’m waiting! :slight_smile:

We call this

@psychotiller style

11 Likes

Psycho Tiller
Qu’est-ce que c’est
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far worse
Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away oh oh…

7 Likes

7 Likes

True. At least there is a piece of fish paper in that pack.

7 Likes

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::face_with_thermometer::worried::cold_sweat::scream::scream::confounded::flushed::flushed::flushed:

2 Likes