The battery builders club

It’s pretty hard to get a nice consistent row of clean welds. It’s especially hard if you’re vision-impaired. What you can do is feel for the battery, make one weld relatively in the center then feel for where your weld was using your fingertips and then use your finger as a guide for further welds.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hey guys, this thread really helped me out building my first battery pack. Thanks for this thread!

23 Likes

Very clean, good job!

5 Likes

Bravo @Linny fuckin gorgeous first pack how you get them nice straight welds?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I was very precise with where my prongs are. Also i found what helps is a V shaped jig that holds the prongs in a specific space from each other, but i realized that AFTER i done all the welds.

3 Likes

You are dead to me.

11 Likes

@Chase and thread;

When soldering wire to nickel, do you put flux on both the nickel and wire? Do you pre-tin the wire? I understand it should be roughed up a bit for good contact.

I flux both the wire and the nickel and tin them both first. The wire just gets a light tin, the nickel gets a good puddle.

I don’t use flux when joining the two together

6 Likes

You really need flux on the nickel.

I personally even go so far as to use a much more aggressive (acidic) flux to tin nickel items, because it makes it so much faster and easier. Less heat, less time, more better all around.

3 Likes

i dunno brother… others have suggested methods… agree are go0d methods… but often you have to let the “ART” flow through you…

let it flow…
and it will be perfct…
or it won’t then try some other shit…

1 Like

interesting observations!

appreciated and noted,

science shall follow

1 Like

I first scratch up the nickel, then add flux to the nickel, then tin it, then tin the wire. I don’t add flux to the wire itself, the solder is rosin core.

2 Likes

12s9p 50e is coming together

18 Likes

For completeness’ sake, here’s a link to the exact flux I use for tinning nickel. I have it in a little dropper bottle with a needle tip, and I use a drop about 2mm in diameter (~4-5 microliters) per joint usually. A little bit goes a long long way.
https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Fluid-60301-Soldering-2-Ounce/dp/B003X3U646

4 Likes

Why are some of the parallel groups 4p and some 5p? Or am i looking at it wrong

1 Like

I’d say they are all 9p

8 Likes

So clean. Really nice bro.

4 Likes

I’m guessing those are all double stacked?

your right, didn’t see that

1 Like

Apparently I shouldn’t be left unsupervised around fire.

17 Likes